Thread: Win 7 backup

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 backup

I have been using the Win 7 built-in backup since I purchased this pc about 1 1/2 years ago. I has worked fine -- until the last few weeks.

Recently my 2 TB drive (connected with USB 2) showed as full and with a red stripe. Since I knew I was near full capacity I assumed that it had run out of space and I replaced it with a 3 TB drive connected via USB 3 (I also tried USB 2). The back-up runs for several hours and then hangs on something identified simply as a I/O device driver error (or something like that). I checked my device drivers and they are up to date (except I was able to update the display driver). The backup termination error persists.

I cannot go back to before the January blast updates, which I suspect are implicated in inducing the eror, as the restore points only go back a few days to the last attempt to do a backup. Earlier than that the system restore utility only shows system images, probably because that is a part of system backup with the Windows utility. I have not used system images to restor, but I suspect that I will lose data if I restore that way. [Is my assumption true?]

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can get the back-up utility working again?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Restore an image created just prior to the January updates; It'll be high time you tested image restore.
    Start reconsidering how you are backing up some of your data; I'm sure you could find things that can easily be backed up
    independent of your operating system, and thus lighten the work load for the OS's imaging application.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Does system restore replace just the system files (not data) or are the data lost?

Thanks
    No data is lost with System Restore.

Might I suggest that after getting things back to where you wish them, look into Imaging as a more complete system back up method. There is a ton of info on Imaging in the Maintenance forum.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

sorry

Sorry -- my error. I meant that I only have system image restore points farther back than a week ago.

Thanks
    If this is truly an Image, then yes everything (data included) will be reset to the time the image was created. That is the biggest reason I use a separate data partition. In your case, backup all your data before attempting to restore the Image so you can get your data back after you restore the Image.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

another approach?

Is there another approach? I suspect that I am not the only one who has suffered this problem. I also wonder if it one of the "optional" updates which caused my problem -- I usually install them after the "critical" updates. The backup seems to go for (very roughly) 3/4 GB before it terminates on the i/o error. Perhaps there is one particular update that I can uninstall.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Just start uninstalling the latest batch of updates and see what happens. This brute force approach will take some time, but I seriously doubt anyone can say try this update or that update for your system.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted