Thread: Weird Notepad

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Weird Notepad

I upgraded to Windows 8 Pro, 64 bit about 2 days ago from Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit. System is i7 with 16 GB ram.
    Everything works except Notepad. I can open the app, type data into it but the instant that I try to Save or Save As
    I get the message "Notepad has stopped working" ; my only option is to close it.

I installed Notepad++ & it works perfectly.

Strangely, .txt files that are already created/stored on the system (and that opened in Windows 7) will still open in Notepad. These files can have data added, removed, etc with impunity and the file can be re-saved without error.

I tried to install a copy of Notepad from another Windows 8 Pro machine but the system rejects it: "Need permission from a trusted installer." Tried as User & as Administrator - no go! If Administrator is not trusted then who? Is there a super administrator? I have heard of a God mode?

Do I need to reinstall the whole os to correct it?

Thanks
    This might very well be one of those very strange errors that show up on some PCs that use the Upgrade Installation. It seems there are far more of these very strange failures with the Upgrade.

If you do decide to reinstall, the Custom Install will give a more pristine installation. Generally the Upgrade has worked well, better than previous Windows versions, but there are still plenty of installations that did not work properly. I believe this is because of something on the original installation that corrupted installation files.

You could try opening an Elevated Command Prompt (Win + X, Command Prompt (Admin)) and type: sfc /scannow

If you have to reinstall, I hope your original installation included creating a media DVD or Flash drive. If not you will have to use the email receipt to start over. There is a link near the top of the email to allow this. When offered the option, choose Install by creating media.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If performing a custom install ('clean install', including formating the target partition within the installation process) is something you'd rather avoid, you might compare the permissions on one of those existing files that Notepad handles correctly with those on a newly-created file that it dies on (if indeed it does manage to create the file at all before dying, of course). Or try creating a file in a parent directory that already contains a file that Notepad CAN successfully edit, and if that works then compare the permissions on that parent directory with those on a directory that Notepad fails in.

It would not be too surprising if Notepad doesn't do a great job of handling all but the most common failure conditions: it is, after all, pretty ancient and likely does not receive all that much attention these days. Or I suppose it could be some edge condition associated with running 32-bit Notepad (assuming that's what it is) in a 64-bit environment.

I certainly hope that there's a way to tell Win 8 to install any da*n thing you want it to, but haven't used it enough yet to be sure. Simply replacing the notepad.exe file everywhere it occurs (e.g, if Win 8 still uses the 'dllcache' to 'guard' system files you'd want to replace it there first, then elsewhere) might work, though there again you might have to work around permission problems.

Edit: One other possible work-around for the problem at least on a temporary basis while you figure out what's really wrong would be to use the 'New' option in File Explorer to create a .txt file, then open it with Notepad and see if you can successfully save changes.
    Last edited by - bill; 2013-02-04 at 12:32.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Finally got it sorted (MS Support, tho, not me: Big thanks)

Seems Windows 8 does not like the software for a Seagate GoFlex exterior hard drive. Found out after the fact that this software is not Windows 8 (but it is Windows 7) compatible.

Thanks
    On an unrelated topic:

I have always had the habit in previous operating systems of adding Notepad to the "send to" folder as a hex editor/viewer.
    You will notice that in Windows 8 this may no longer work.

A simple workaround for Windows 8;
    NOTEPAD.jpg
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan_1 View Post
    Finally got it sorted (MS Support, tho, not me: Big thanks)

Seems Windows 8 does not like the software for a Seagate GoFlex exterior hard drive. Found out after the fact that this software is not Windows 8 (but it is Windows 7) compatible.
    I use a Seagate GoFlex Home 3TB external drive connected via my network as Network Addressed Storage (NAS). But I don't use the Seagate software; I use Image for Windows from TeraByte Unlimited. I dual boot 7/8 and this works fine in both environments. I use the default folders on the GoFlex drive.

I would imagine that there are a number of free imaging apps that will support USB and/or NAS, which will work fine in Windows 8.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows