New Lounger
    Thanks

Location of Windows Updates Uninstall files?

Hi all,

I have a Toshiba Laptop running Windows 7 X64 Home Edition.
    I would like to know where are the "$NtUninstallKBnnnnnn$" files/folders stored for when you install Windows Updates?
    This is the naming conventional under Windows XP but I am looking for the location of these Uninstall files under Windows-7,
    don't know exactly what they are called as I can not find them!

Tnx a bunch!

Cindy

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Go to Control Panel>Windows Updates and click on installed updates on the left side of screen. You can uninstall from there.

Rich

Thanks
    As Rich shows, the method to uninstall Windows Updates is different in Win 7 than previous versions. There are no longer "$NtUninstallKBnnnnnn$" files/folders. These uninstall files are stored differently in Win 7.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    The files for servicing Windows are in the WinSXS folder. It is one of the reasons that this folder is constantly increasing in size. Microsoft have made it much more difficult to remove the files used for patches than under XP.

You should leave the WinSXS folder and all its contents alone.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    As Rich shows, the method to uninstall Windows Updates is different in Win 7 than previous versions. There are no longer "$NtUninstallKBnnnnnn$" files/folders. These uninstall files are stored differently in Win 7.
    and also on Windows Vista. like Win7, Vista stores the uninstall files for Windows Updates in the WinSXS folder.
    as Joe suggested, do not attempt to modify or delete the contents of the WinSXS folder.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Please note that OP was not seeking to uninstall any updates. I suspect that she wanted to delete uninstall files for updates she knew she would never wish to uninstall. There are folks who recommend this to save space. I am not convinced that it is dangerous. Better help could have been provided.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by david_vds View Post
    Please note that OP was not seeking to uninstall any updates. I suspect that she wanted to delete uninstall files for updates she knew she would never wish to uninstall. There are folks who recommend this to save space. I am not convinced that it is dangerous. Better help could have been provided.
    You can now use the built-in Disk Cleaning application to delete Windows patch uninstall files.

Joe