5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Internet connection problem in Windows 8

My local computer technician has just installed 2 SSDs for me, and Win7 Pro is on one with Win 8 Pro on the other. I have no problem with either OS, except that in Win 8 I can't connect to the internet. Network diagnostics says my computer is configured correctly, but I can't connect to any website. I checked Services and I can't see anything wrong there.

Help resolving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 & IE11 & Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit & IE11-Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB

Roy Whitethread

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I restarted Windows 8 and my internet connection was fine. Why it didn't work previously is one of life's mysteries!
    OS Dual Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 & IE11 & Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit & IE11-Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    I occasionally loose my connection and sometimes have to run the Network Troubleshooter (Right click the Network icon in the taskbar). I sometimes have to reboot the PC and reboot my router when this happens. Life is a mystery, and so is my router connection. Perhaps my PC is too far from the router and I get interference from other sources at times. Perhaps my router gets tired just like me. Who knows. I'm glad your problem is solved.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    My wife's Windows 8 PC was having problems with losing her wireless internet connection periodically. I'd have to either re-boot or turn on airplane mode and then turn it off. I believe I installed an HP update that seemed to resolve the issue. The point being that you should make sure you have up-to-date drivers for your network cards both wired and wireless. IMO, the OEMs are still ironing out driver issues with various devices for Windows 8.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Chugging along on W8 with virtually no issues on an older HP Pavilion. Only real issue is I loose connection with the card reader. But that didn't change from W7. Exact same prob. I work on machines occasionally and agree with the above, "just one of life's mysteries." Running the network reset has helped me in the past:

netsh winsock reset catalog (reset winsock entries)
    netsh int ip reset reset.log hit (reset TCP/IP stack)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Syclone For This Useful Post:

Mickey Fish (2013-07-04)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I dual boot win7 & Win8. I have no problems with W7, but , like Medico, I often have no internet connection when starting W8 and have to run the troubleshooter, which resets the Ethernet adaptor because it had no IP address.
    I like Joe's suggestion of driver updates and will check these further.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Resetting TCP is fine and works but maybe if you keep loosing connection some diag might be in order.

Before resetting TCP check device mgr to see if the adapter is working.

While in device mgr right click on the adapter and select Power Management and make sure "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is NOT checked. (Unless you have a laptop.)

For the heck of it disable remote assistance in system properties.

Check system logs for errors.

HTH

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Success. I googled the device ID of the Ethernet adapter, found the Intel website and downloaded a new driver, which replaced the MS generic that W8 had installed.

Not only have I had no problems since, I now have more info on the device property page (shown below)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A1ex View Post
    I dual boot win7 & Win8. I have no problems with W7, but , like Medico, I often have no internet connection when starting W8 and have to run the troubleshooter, which resets the Ethernet adaptor because it had no IP address.
    I like Joe's suggestion of driver updates and will check these further.
    I had the same, or more problems when I was using Win 7 as well. I did not mean things got worse with Win 8 as they did not.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    This thread points up some things about a Windows 8 upgrade:

You will probably need to update at least a few drivers.

Microsoft is not the best source for these drivers. Manufacturers are catching up with Windows 8 now.

Compared with Windows 7, Windows 8 seems not to do as good a job of handling wired (Ethernet) networking, at least in many systems. My own experience is that wireless networking with updated drivers is as good or better in Win 8 compared with Win 7. I dual-boot.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile Thank you...

Quote Originally Posted by Syclone View Post
    Chugging along on W8 with virtually no issues on an older HP Pavilion. Only real issue is I loose connection with the card reader. But that didn't change from W7. Exact same prob. I work on machines occasionally and agree with the above, "just one of life's mysteries." Running the network reset has helped me in the past:

netsh winsock reset catalog (reset winsock entries)
    netsh int ip reset reset.log hit (reset TCP/IP stack)
    Great advise, has been driving me crazy for the last couple of days and thanks to your advice I now have no connection issues

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi. I was having the same issue on my lenovo laptop after installing windows 8. SInce I also had windows 7(dual booting), i could check that my internet was working just fine in win 7, but with win 8, i just couldn't browse internet at all.

My wireless network adapter (path - windows button +x, device manager) was Atheros AR9285 Wireless Adapter Driver, and I had to update this driver from http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NET...indows-8.shtml

Finally its working. Thank God!

Thanks
    It generally is a good idea to visit the device manufacturer for updated drivers. Often the drivers from these driver update sites are not the latest or not always working properly.

Plus, often these secondary sites have extra "free" stuff piggybacked on these free downloads. An unsuspecting person could be lured in with this "free" stuff which can cause serious damage to their PCs. Often extra Toolbars or search engines are installed which automatically change browser behavior, unless they are specifically opted out of.
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-07-08 at 05:57.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted