Thanks

Fcc proposes national wifi system telcos against, google ms and others for

Tech, telecom giants take sides as FCC proposes large public WiFi networks

This one could go either way. I think I will wait until we see exactly what this will cost and exactly who will benefit most. Something like this could end up making the devices we use more expensive. So like I say, I will wait and see what comes of it before deciding whether to support or oppose it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I don't want large public WiFi networks, unless they are offered by private companies. If it's set up and run by the government, it will be poorly run, and it will be a huge source of information for the government to harvest without much, if any, accountability.

I can only imagine all of the malware and hacking which would run rampant on such a network, especially if everyone were connected to it due to it being cheap or free.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How is a large public WiFi network more susceptible to malware and hacking as opposed to private?
    Chuck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
    How is a large public WiFi network more susceptible to malware and hacking as opposed to private?
    1. Everyone will be on it, which will be a magnet for the bad guys.
    2. Everyone will be on it, which means that a whole lot of non-careful people will be using it, opening additional doors for malware and hackers.
    3. If it's run by the government, it's more likely to have less competent people running it than a privately run network would have.
    4. If it's run by the government, they will have less incentive to make sure it's secure, because no one will have ownership.
    5. If it's run by the government, and some politician or politician's aide decides to get info on someone, they can easily do it. This happened a few years ago in my city -- the sanitation director got all of the emails of certain city council members to use for malicious purposes.

These concerns can be lessened if the government contracts the network out to a private firm, as opposed to the government setting up and running the network.

Thanks
    The other thing that bothers me is that if the government builds it the price with most likely be 4 to 5 times what it should cost, and the same for administering it. Where does this money come from. TAX PAYERS! Or we'll simply go into hock many more billions to the Chinese. Either way tax payers will foot the bill ultimately.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks

Thanks
    Seems like this might be another one of those half baked, poorly researched reports by someone trying to get some headlines. As if we have not seen those in the past.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted