Lounger
    Thanks

Getting Outlook Express messages into Outlook 2003

Folks, I have a problem getting messages from my old 32-bit Win XP SP3 system into my new 64-bit Win 7 Ultimate system which is using Outlook 2003.

In July 2011 I had a catastrophic software-related system crash on my old XP system with, of course, no up to date backup. However, I managed to find and save the folder containing all the OE .dbx folders. After a lot of messing about I had to do a complete re-install of XP. When I finished that exercise (which, for reasons beyond my control, actually took nearly a year of spare time work), including re-installing SP3 and all the required updates and patches, I had a new email setup with OE. This *was* backed up, but there was nothing of substance in that backup. I was attempting to get the old messages onto the new system when a second software-related crash (different software but similar result) occurred.

Again, I rescued the "new" .dbx folders, to go with the old ones, and rather than mess about I acquired new hardware and Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I re-installed all my application software including Office 2003 with Outlook 2003, which I'm now using as my mail client.

But I still have dozens of .dbx folders representing thousands of .eml files which I need to bring in to my mail, with *no* functioning copy of Outlook Express.

Is there a way to get all those messages into my Outlook Inbox (the old mail folder>subfolder structure is gone, but the messages are all still there)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by oldmoel; 2013-02-04 at 22:57. Reason: Made mistake with Win 7 version.

Thanks
    Did you try File > Import and Export > Import from another program or file > Outlook Express ?

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry,

I have tried that method, but the OE folders are on network drives in non-bootable copies (RawCopy) of the original XP system volumes. Each time I get Outlook to browse for the folder containing the .dbx files

i.e. Q:\Documents and Settings\Moel\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{B254D72D-7ED8-4BBC-AE53-7351F187B689}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
    (which is the oldest - July 2011 - rescue)

or R:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{E79C1203-1296-44DD-9D62-8CDDCE2A6EC9}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
    (which is the more recent - November 2012 - rescue)

it ends with Outlook "not responding" before finding the target folder and having to be closed down.

Should I put a copy of the two relevant folders on the Windows 7 C: drive somewhere?

Noel

Thanks
    Should I put a copy of the two relevant folders on the Windows 7 C: drive somewhere?
    Sounds like a good idea.

Jerry

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

oldmoel (2013-02-21)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry,

Just a note to thank you for your suggestion. I apologise that it's been 2 weeks since my last posting but various things - not just errant emails - have been distracting me.

I thought I'd let you know that copying the folders to the local drive didn't prove to be the solution - at least not completely. What it *did* do was make the data more available.

In the end I used a process I'd considered way back but had discarded before even trying it (goodness only knows why), which was to import the messages into Windows Live and then export them to Outlook.

My original email accounts were arranged into a large number of subfolders under the "Inbox" folder for emails dealing with particular subjects. The Import - Export process didn't maintain the original folder structure, but it did put *all* the subfolders into my email account in a "Storage Folders -> ... -> Imported Folder (n)" setup.

Rules and other account details were lost as well, but that's trivial compared to the possibility of losing some 76,000 messages accumulated over 8 years of my life!

So again, thank you for your help. It was much appreciated.

Noel

Thanks
    Glad you solved your problem. Thanks for posting you solution.

Jerry