Thread: Partitions

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Partitions

Firstly, one of my drives has unallocated space, followed by 2 other partitions. Can I add the unallocated space to the partition following it, and if so am I right in thinking that I will first have to create a partition from the unallocated space? Finally, after creating the partition and adding it to the partition following it will that expanded partition keep it's original drive letter?

Secondly, on another drive I have a system reserved partition, followed by the partition for Windows 7. Can I delete the system reserved partition without suffering any adverse consequences? (I have up to date images).

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Do not delete the system reserved partition. It mostly likely contains your MBR in addition to other functions.

Use a 3rd party partitioning app such as Partition Wizard mini-tool to reclaim the unallocated space. Leave it unallocated to save one step. With Partition Wizard you highlight the partition you wish to increase in size, choose Resize from the toolbar then simply grab the edge of the partition you wish to increase into the unallocated space and drag it to the new position. My screen shot shows dragging to unallocated space to the right. This can also be done to the left. If your are dragging the OS partition to the left, the app will reboot your PC and do the changes outside of Windows because the OS has to be moved to the front of the larger partition.

PartitionWizard.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can set Windows 7 up on one partition - the reserved one is for BitLocker.
    1. You need a WinPE boot disk that works.
    2. Run a partition manager, delete the reserved partition and enlarge the main partition.
    3. Boot WinPE and run this command (assuming the boot disk shows up as drive C): bcdboot C:\Windows /s C:
    Warning: here be demons.

cheers, Paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I think you might want to go in steps because if I understand correctly, you want to add the space to the second partition? So using Medico's example, move the first partition over first so the unclaimed space is between the two partitions and in the second step, move the second partition over next to the first so the unclaimed space is then in the correct position to add it to the second partition in the final step. If either of these partitions are system partitions you will most likely need a boot disc for startup repair. You can probably preload all the moving steps at once before applying but I just wouldn't trust it when the second partition boundary needs to be moved to a location just vacated by part of the other partition. That would seem to be asking for trouble.

Same applies to the second question if you are going to reclaim the system reserve space once deleted. In other words in Paul T's step 2 you will actually be moving the partition left so its a bit more involved than just enlarging it.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fun,
    It appears he wants to add the unallocated space to the partition directly behind it. Medico's method using Partition Wizard would be be one step operation. The drive letter would be unchanged also.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, I can't tell for sure, me needs a disk management capture.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Medico, I tried your way to reclaim the unallocated space, but for whatever reason it didn't work. However, as the second partition was empty I used MiniTool to delete it, rebooted, and then saw only one unallocated space from which I recreated the partition with it's original drive letter.

Paul, thanks but I am worried about your "here be demons" remark, and would appreciate clarification.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    The Demons are in the possibility that the boot files are in the reserved partition, and the machine won't reboot if that is the case, and that partition is deleted. The boot files can be repaired, but that's a couple more steps to get there.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

royw (2013-02-06)

Thanks
    Roy, If the empty partition was still formatted, that's most likely why Partition Wizard did not work. The space must be unallocated to accomplish this step. If you had some unallocated space, and a partition that was empty but formatted next to it, then yes, deleting the empty partition would leave one larger unallocated space. The partition you were trying to move into the empty partition would have then been able to resize into the unallocated space.

That was why I said to leave the unallocated space unallocated to save one step, that being the need to first delete the empty partition to turn it into unallocated space. To resize partitions (larger) they must be resized into unallocated space.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

royw (2013-02-06)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, info that the partition was empty would have been very helpful (just unallocated space with an attitude!). Its like we had the pitons, 200 ft. of rope and a grappling hook ready for the job and all that was required was to go though the unlocked door in the wall.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Step 3 in my blurb will place the boot files on the system drive, but i have assumed you are working from the primary disk and have set the partition as active. Without details of your disk set up it's always worth a warning.

cheers, Paul

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

royw (2013-02-06)