Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Dual Boot System-Win 7 & Win 8-How to repair boot record for Win 8?

I have a dual boot system-Win 7 Pro and Win 8 Pro.When I try to boot into Windows 8 I am told "the file /BOOT.BCD is missing". Advice as to how to repair the Win 8 boot record would be appreciated.
    OS Triple Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 with IE11, Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit with IE11 & Windows 10 TP (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    One avenue would be to insert the installation DVD and choose Repair my PC. Quite often you do not even have to do the Auto Repair. The missing MBR is seen by the installer and fixed. Otherwise choose the Repair option.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Which OS was installed first?
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Win 7 was installed first.
    OS Triple Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 with IE11, Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit with IE11 & Windows 10 TP (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Boot your Windows 8 disk and choose repair.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

I have a fairly new Windows 7 64-bit workstation (age less than 1 year) and I installed Win8Pro on a separate disk.

I used a Win7 install DVD (for 64-bit) to repair (startup repair) the dual boot BCD when I hit a problem. This is discussed in another lounge posting. It worked.

Note that the "startup repair" option is gone from the Win8 DVD. Well, so are lots of other things as well (like see full map in the network and sharing center).

Thanks
    I have startup repair on mine. Perhaps you should re-download the ISO and try a fresh burn.

Unleash Windows