Star Lounger
    Thanks

Apply SP3 or not?

Would you attempt to apply the SP3 upgrade, on-site, to a WinXP SP2 computer that has never received any Windows updates in its life? Just asking for an opinion -- I've lost touch with XP over the years. Have you applied the SP3 update recently? I have it on CD, left over from 2008.

Off topic: I visited this PC to remove a plethora of PUPs and discovered that, as well as having had no critical patches in 4 years or more, it has never had an antivirus or antispyware and was running IE7 -- yet it was clean as a whistle, except for PUPs, despite grandchildren and naive users. Go figure.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've seen such situations so many times I lost count. I always recommend updating and malware protection. Many times the owner refuses because the computer is "running good". I have a very simple statement: the computer will eventually run out of "steam", it will slow down even more than it already is and there is increased potential for an infection. When I'm eventually called I tell them to go to a professional computer repair shop or buy a new computer. Why? From past experience it's too involved in trying to keep up someone's computer when they want it to run as good as new taking the time to do their part in keeping their computer maintained
    Oh yes, when someone doesn't have proper malware protection and doesn't want me to bother instally proper protection, I refuse to help them right up front

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Yes, I'd install SP3. Be sure to backup the system first. Also, install all the Windows update fixes after SP3 is installed.

Joe

Thanks
    Install it from the CD, and do it while you're not on line. Once it's installed, go on line and get all of the rest of the patches.

The reason I'd install SP3 off line is because you have more vulnerability without it than with it. Therefore, you're off line during the more vulnerable period.

SP3 brings you into the modern era. Lots of stuff is available when you have SP3, but isn't when you have less than SP3.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, guys.

I did this upgrade on several PCs back in 2008, after taking every precaution known to man, working with fully up-to-date (at the time) software environments. This current situation has turned me into a scaredy-cat. But I'll probably go ahead if I can get a disk image. Then we'll find out how well automatic Windows Update handles a 4-year backlog of patches.