Thread: Home Network

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Home Network

What is the easiest way to make a network between 2 PCs and a laptop useing a 56K modem connection ? Thanks in advance for your help !

ileacy

Re: Home Network

By using some other interface, unless you are talking about dialing up for remote access to a desktop.

Most networks use ethernet, but, USB is another option for short distances.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ok, I probably asked the question badly. I want to set up a network and one of the puposes is to share a internet connection. All the equipment that I have looked at on different websites say they are for shared Cable/DSL connections and I use a dial-up 56K modem. Can this type of connection be shared ? Are there any major roadblocks ? Any hardware suggestions ? Thanks in advance for the help !

ileacy

This <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/HomeNet-start.asp>tutorial</A> from HomeNetHelp will get you started on the basics.

Basic recommendation is to use 10/100 ethernet with cat 5 cables to connect the systems. This will make more sense after you have read the tutorial.

Couple of options available on the modem. But, I need to know if the modem is internal or external, and, which OS (Win98/ME/XP/Other ...) you are using/plan to use on the systems.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was reading that very tutorial when I got your response. In regard to the modems, all are internal: 2PCs running Win 98SE and 1 Laptop running Win 98SE. Thanks, again for the help !

ileacy

Great.

This <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/dialup/sharingdup.htm>tutorial</A> from PracticallyNetworked describes how to share your dial-up modem using Win98SE ICS(Internet Connection Sharing).

Drop a post if you have any questions after reading both tutorials.