Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Question Delta Search Engine

Help! Suddenly, I get the Delta search engine opening in Chrome. From what I've read, this is a virus and a potentially dangerous one. Can't figure out how it got past MSE, but it's there. One post I read elsewhere said to remove it with SpyHunter so I downloaded it, let it scan, then discovered payment was required to remove it, which I'd like to avoid if possible. Other articles gave warnings and very detailed removal instructions that involved the registry - scary for non tech types!

AntiMalwareBytes quick scan detected no malicious files. I run it every week or so and again just now.

What should I do? I managed to reset Google as primary search engine in Chrome; haven't noticed it in Firefox (my default browser) and haven't yet checked IE, which I rarely use.

Couldn't find references to it in the Lounge so maybe it's not a real issue??

Thanks for suggestions of any kind.

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2013-02-06 at 15:09.

Thanks
    See if its listed in Control panel > programs and features. If it is, uninstall it. Then:
    go to the customize and control button in Google chrome (Far right of the title bar) . Go to settings, chose manage search engines under search header. Then made Google my default and delete delta from there by clicking on the x when you highlight it.

Jerry

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I've not heard of this one, but it sounds like a browser hijacker or search redirector.

Probably the safest ways to got about it's removal is to run a system restore to a time before it was installed. Failing that, go to settings in Chrome and drop into the Search Settings configuration to remove it. Probably have to do similar in Firefox and IE.

It probably got in by being bundled with a downloaded application. Quite a few free apps do this kind of thing these days. Most are good enough to tell you, or give you the option, but some I've seen make it quite hard to opt out. Some free download sites are very well designed to socially engineer you to click on a download button that you think is what you want, but is in fact something rather different.

MSE may not react, because it may well not be a piece of malware in itself. The places it redirects you to might however be tainted, so tread carefully until it's gone.
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2013-02-06 at 15:33. Reason: typo
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks
    Linda, if you created an Image after last patch Tuesday, restore to that Image.

Unfortunately no AV/AM app catches everything. That's why I use an AV app, and MalwareBytes Pro and Spybot search and Destroy all running in real time. I also have both a S/W and H/W firewall.

Usually these beasties piggyback on something else, or require an operator to do something to activate.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    If none of the above works, you could try creating a Windows Defender Offline disk, and then booting the computer with the WDO disk in the drive:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...fender-offline

It will scan the computer pre-Windows, which may allow it to catch the bad guy.

Another option is to restart the computer into Safe Mode, and do your antivirus scan there. To get into Safe Mode, restart the computer. Have your finger by the F8 key. As soon as the initial splash screen disappears, hit F8 a few times. Then choose Safe Mode from the menu.

In both of these cases, you are either removing or greatly reducing Windows functionality before running the scan. That may do the trick for you, because a lot of malware depends on Windows functionality in order for it to run.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Tinto Tech and "old friends", Medico and mrjimphelps. Yes, I believe that's what it was called, a browser hijacker. You're likely right about how it got into my PC even though I try really hard to watch for "sneaky" inclusions in downloads - some of them can be pretty hidden!

I did try to get rid of it in the Search Settings configuration, as you suggested, but couldn't find a way to delete it from the list; I could only change the default back to Google. Will check the other 2 browsers, too.

If that fails, there's always the good old System Restore method. It has saved my bacon a number of times in the past. Also did an image last Saturday so could try that. Not sure when this showed up as I don't use Chrome a lot. I used to have Spybot but didn't think I needed it with MSE and AntiMalwareBytes.

Appreciate your insights and suggestions. You've given me a lot of things to try. Will work through them and post back on success (or with more questions!).

One further question: is it as dangerous as some of the articles are suggesting? It sounds super scary and I'm sure being warned by the program that wants me to buy it in order to get rid of it (I don't put too much stock in its warnings, however).

Back to you soon,

Linda

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    ...and I'm sure being warned by the program that wants me to buy it in order to get rid of it
    That sounds a bit more pernicious than a standard browser hijacker. That kind of behaviour is more often exhibited by RamsomeWare.

Not having encountered this particular one before I'm working blind here, but I would say it may now be better to consider a malware removal route: boot into safe mode and run system restore from there, returning to safe mode to complete the restore, or to go to to your System Image from Saturday.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks
    Sometimes just disabling an add-on will allow it to be deleted through normal deletion routes. As TT says, scans in safe mode might effectively solve the problem. You might also do a deep cleaning of all the temp. files. CCleaner may help with that.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, TT and Medico. Will try both methods and post results. Think I'll start with CCleaner as it's been over a week since I last ran it.

Figured out how to get rid of Delta Search in Chrome from the list under Settings: once I hovered over it, an X appeared; clicking it removed the thing. I also reset default opening page, which had been set to Delta, to my iGoogle home page and used the X to get rid of Delta from that as well.

It may be a day or two before I can try out your suggestions, but I will let you know how I do. I sure appreciate the help!

Linda

P.S. On reading this post, I noticed it was filled with "I". Truly, I (there it goes again!) am not that self-centered a person!!!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I also have been 'caught' by the delta-homes problem. I get their page when I start Chrome and Opera.
    I've deleted every instance in my Win8 64bit registry, cleaned out any references in Chrome and Opera and it still does the same thing.
    It doesn't appear in the installed programs list and none of my virus scanners clean it. CCleaner and Spybot either.
    Hopefully I will find a restore point prior to this happening.

Bryan

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hello Bryan, This is rather an old thread to resurrect but as Tinto Tech had pointed out earlier, Delta Search isn't a virus or of a type of malware that AVs and scanners will pick up.

The program to you need for these Possibly unwanted Programs (PuPs) is AdwCleaner which is specifically designed to remove malicious add-ons/Toolbars and the scan will sweep all browsers with the Report showing what it has found.

When downloading anything you should always read each window before clicking on Next or Install and always choose the Custom option of installation when given and then you can see if anything untoward has been bundled with the download.