2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Slot drive problem when trying to restore a system image

Hi,
    Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong please? I'm trying to restore a system image to a Dell Studio laptop with a slot CD/DVD drive. This computer did not come with a reinstallation disk so a full system image was created when the laptop was new. The system image produced 16 CDs of data, and we also made a two disk set of System restore files, plus a repair disk. We want to go back to when the computer was new to fix recent issues.

When I put in the repair disk as instructed to begin to restore the system image, and restart the computer, after bootup it tells me to put in the last disk of the system image set. Since I have no way to manually eject the system repair disk drive at that point from the slot drive (Windows 7 hasn't loaded at this point) , I am unable to put in the system image disk requested. Been going round robin and failing the restore. Am I missing something? How to remove the repair disk so I can begin the restore? Please help.

If this whole process fails, is there a way that I can copy the 16 disks of system image to the hard drive first and try to restore from the hard drive? The laptop is operable. If so, how would I go about this? It seems that restoring from the hard drive would be simpler that trying to eject CDs. Thanks so much. Judy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Judson,

My wife's Dell XPS laptop has a Function Key {looks like an up pointing triangle with a line under it} for ejecting the CD from the slot. I don't know if it requires you to hold the FN key or not to make it work. I'm not sure this will work if Windows is not booted but I would suspect it would since you might not have Windows loaded on the laptop. In any event it is worth a try.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    You may find a small pin-sized hole near where you insert the disk. Open up a paperclip, so that it is straight, not curved. Insert it into the pin-sized hole. If you push it, it will cause the disk to eject.

Thanks
    Judson,

You might also make sure your computer's firmware is up to date at the Dell site.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, RetiredGeek.
    The eject button does nothing. Manual shows only that one button. The rest of those multimedia keys all have orange icons as well, and volume and brightness all operate just from that one button. Do you know if it has to be enabled somewhere? Judy

Thanks
    Judy,

In the BIOS, usually reached on a Dell by tapping F2 when booting, you can select if the keys operate as Windows Function keys F1-F12 or as the Icons "FN" keys provided by Dell. In either case the FN key, bottom left of the keyboard, temporally reverses the selection made in the BIOS. HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,
    Spent a wasted half hour with Microsoft on the phone and got the "contact Dell" reply. They don't want to talk to us because it's out of warranty. So, I'm still at a loss and we may have to take it to a service person, which my grand-daughter can't afford. I was so hoping I could help her with this. Still don't understand why the CD/DVD tray works well from Explorer but not from the keyboard. Thanks all for your suggestions anyway. Judy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    You may find a small pin-sized hole near where you insert the disk. Open up a paperclip, so that it is straight, not curved. Insert it into the pin-sized hole. If you push it, it will cause the disk to eject.
    Like he says - use a paper clip.
    There HAS TO BE a hole in the player. That is how you can open the drive mechanically and insert a CD/DVD BEFORE you switch on power.