Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: start-up

New Lounger
    Thanks

start-up

My PC is slow when I start-up, it take awhile, on my system configuration there are alot of programs that start with the start-up.But I am afraid of what programs to disable Iam not sure.Can you help.I am running windows 7 Home Premium with explorer 9 32 bit any ideas.thanks

Thanks
    Run an app called What's In Startup or Autoruns. These can easily be disabled or deleted. Many are unnecessary. You will have to supply a list or screen shot so we have an idea what is there and what can be disabled.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

ts8026 (2013-02-16)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ts8026 View Post
    My PC is slow when I start-up, it take awhile, on my system configuration there are alot of programs that start with the start-up.But I am afraid of what programs to disable Iam not sure.Can you help.I am running windows 7 Home Premium with explorer 9 32 bit any ideas.thanks
    Post a list of all the programs you currently have in startup and we'll go over them with you and provide opinion and, if need, more info
    on what they are.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply.But when I bring up system configuration it's in a small window and it can't be maximize.I am new to this.Thanks again.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your fast reply.When I bring up the window for system configuration it won't maximize so I don't know how to take a screen shot.I am very new to this.Thanks again

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    If you use one of the utilities mentioned in post #2 their windows are resizable. If there are more programs than fit on one page you can take and post multiple screenshots.

Joe

Thanks
    To post a screen shot, use the Prt Sc button on your PC, then open Paint and past into it. Now you can use the crop tool to crop so that only the screen shot you wish to save is visible. Save to your desktop. Now use the Image icon directly above the window you are writing in and follow the directions.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks
    Use What's in Startup and get a new list. It is next to impossible to read the System Configuration you posted. See my post #2.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted,

Try clicking on the individual screenshots multiple times. My Logitech mouse zooms them right in. Don't know if this is standard behavior for win 8 or just my mouse.

Anyway, everything he shows is pretty much not needed except for Microsoft Security Client. Some of it looks like it appears more than once. Typical of adobe, google, apple and others.

Thanks
    Thanks I see that now. I would get rid of EVERYTHING except the AV and perhaps Logitech Setpoint. So I guess the real question is what should I keep?

There is just WAY too much stuff that is absolutely un-necessary as these other things will start when needed. The start up apps are probably using most of the system resources.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    If you continue to use Java, I would leave the Java updater as it is critical to keep it updated and it doesn't have a significant impact on OS startup or run time. if you clear the rest of the items, reboot and see if the programs you use work. If something no longer works, you can go through the list and look for an item that might apply and recheck it. If you want an independent recommendation for any item, there is a good list at :
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/

Just plug the item in question in the search box on that page

Jerry

Thanks
    Use an app like CCleaner to view your startup items and give us an expanded view of everything in there.
    The above screenshots are limiting.

CCleaner:
    CCleaner.jpg

Open CCLeaner, or download it from here.
    Go to CCleaner's "tools" section and click on "startup". Expand the app's bottom part so that everything is included.
    Then hit the "print" key on your computer. Open up paint, paste it, and crop it. Save the image as a JPEG.
    The above can then be posted as an image.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-02-09 at 10:41.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If I understand you right you would uncheck all programs but av and Logitech Setpoint.But what about all the windows and microsoft programs don't I need them to run some of programs for my P.C. Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Most of those are just startup modules, they want to have a presence so they maybe can more readily jump into action with the full program or sometimes just to advertise their presence even though they're not required for any current purpose. All that happens if they are excluded from startup is that you start whatever program they are associated with when you want to, and maybe it takes half a tic longer at that time to start.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

ts8026 (2013-02-16)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast