New Lounger

Users, AppData, permissions: help!

Iíve always been extremely confused about Windows features (1) Users directoryó
    AppData, Local, Permissions, etc., (there are so many AppData in Users!) and (2)
    User accounts and permissions assigning access to files . Iíll greatly appreciate any
    help from your collective brilliant brains. (see attachment)
    I have ec Administrator and ec Standard User accounts and have user account control
    set to Never; Iím the only user and donít need to be notified of changes to the computer.
    Iíd like to delete ec Administrator account and have only ec Standard User for everyday
    computing (keep it simple). Can all permissions be set for ec (ec-HP\ec), for example,
    with full control?
    Hope I donít offend anybody, but sometimes I hear a little voice saying, ďGot Apple?Ē
    Attached Files Attached Files

St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 904 Posts
    You should not delete the Administrator account. The Administrator account is the only one that has complete access to the system by default. It can come in handy for troubleshooting. What you are showing in the PDF are primarily groups. The only user that I see is "ec". I would not delete groups. Groups are just a convenient way to assign security permissions to multiple users. You can seriously mess up the system by removing standard groups and permissions.

I would recommend that you turn UAC on but set it to "Don't notify me when I make changes to Windows". Even though you are the only user on the PC should the PC be compromised UAC may help avoid a serious issue by making you think about installing something. During normal day-to-day use I seldom see a UAC prompt. Even though when I purposely am installing or updating software the UAC reminder does not bother me.

You can certainly set the "ec" account to have full control over everthing but that defeats the purpose of having a standard account. A standard account is used to enhance your security. By taking full control over everything you will expose the whole PC should the machine be compromised. You also run the risk of accidentally changing something on the PC that you should not.

BTW, the security model used in Vista, Windows 7, & Windows 8 is generally the same as used in Unix on which Apple's OSX is based. Under the *nix (i.e. Unix, Linux, or derivative) model the "Administrator" account is called "root". As a user you very seldom run as "root" and it requires a response to a prompt to elevate privileges similar to UAC. But if you really think that life would be easier go right ahead.

Central Florida
    With any OS from Vista to Win-8, I won't set up a system without also installing "Grant Admin Full Control".
    You can download it here:

Once you run that file, you will be able to Right Click on any file or folder and select "Grant Admin Fill Control" and you will become the registered OWNER of that file (or folder). It eliminates that SO annoying "Access Denied" message, etc.

For a One-Guy computer, it's the nuts!

Cheers mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

bwc (2013-02-07)

Bronze Lounger
    Birkirkara, Malta
    DrWho, I use "Grant Admin Full Control" but find the option doesn't always come up when I right click a file or folder. Any idea why?
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread