New Lounger
    Thanks

Inconsistent folder permissions

I'm running Win7 Pro. I have a good experience overall with it until about 6 weeks ago. I can't figure out if a Windows Update hosed something in my permissions, or if some other program has made changes. I use AVG, and it reports that my system is clean.

My problem:

There are a few folders on my system that will no longer allow me to save data into them under normal circumstances. These same folders never had this problem before. In particular, my photos are all stored in D:\Media\Camera-Pictures with sub-folders for each year, and month. The screenshot of the message I get is below, and tells me I don't have permission to save in this location.

This is absurd, because I have been saving files into this folder structure for years. I figured out that if I open Irfanview (not the only program to have this problem) by right-clicking and selecting "Run as Administrator", the issue goes away. I have the same problem with Outlook when I try to save an attached picture into the folders in question. However, I really don't think that I should run Outlook as an admin all the time.

It would be helpful if someone could explain why this is happening now, when it never did before. It's like a gremlin has taken up residence in that folder, and is laughing at me every time I try to save to that folder.

Explanations aside, I want to solve this issue of inconsistent folder permissions, hopefully on the entire drive. Other folders on the D drive did not in the past, and do not now have any permission problems. This is becoming infuriating...it's MY computer for Pete's sake, and I'm the Admin. I haven't changed any user accounts, nor added any.

My own research shows that this has something to do with folder properties and the Security tab, but I can't figure anything out in that regard. I see some folders that have 'inheirited' permissions, and others that do not.

Any help you could provide would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Max
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Turn UAC off.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    UAC wasn't an issue before.

Thanks
    I always use Grant Admin Full Control. It's kind of like Take Ownership on steroids. After installing, right click the file or folder and select Grant Admin Full Control to own that folder and all files contained there-in. This fixes many permissions problems.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

brino (2013-02-15)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, I'll give that a try.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    By running as administrator you have effectively turned UAC off.
    Have you checked the permissions on the folder - right click, Properties?
    From your description it seems the security is correct. If this is the case then UAC is likely to be the answer.

cheers, Paul