New Lounger
    Thanks

BOOTMAGR is missing - Canít boot up

My desktop will not boot. It goes through the normal start procedures until it get to the checking disks in the boot process. Then the cursor blinks the dreaded" ĎBOOT MGR is missing.í Push ctrl + alt + delete to restart". And of course, it starts the same problem all over again.
    I found a workaround when I stumbled on starting from a repair disc and when asked, during the startup procedure, to boot from CD and then going to the repair console and selecting Ďfix startupí. It tries, but fails to fix the problem but on restarting Ö it starts normally !
    It does this every time I have to shut it down. I always just use Ďsleepí to prevent having to go through this procedure.
    I did a Ďno format re-installí of Windows 7 Professional. But the problem remains. Apparently the Boot Mgr doesnít live in the operating system. I guess it must live in the BIOS. I can't think of where else !

A search on the internet brought replies like doing a Ďresetí in a command prompt (with admin privileges), but none of them worked. The problem remains.
    I have a feeling I might have to re-install / upgrade the BIOS somehow. I donít even know how to find out what BIOS version I have much less update it.
    I need some help here. Hope someone has had a ĎBoot mgr is missingí and solved the problem.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You need to perform a startup repair with the WIndows DVD. Here is an illustrated guide:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ssing-fix.html

Thanks
    Open a Command Prompt from the Repair Console on the Installation disk or Repair disk and type:

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

bootrec.exe /fixboot

bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd

edit: I see the site Rui linked shows these same commands.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I'll give it a try. I tried with the command prompt w/admin priveledges from the search box while in Win7 and that didn't work.
    I'll let you know.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have tried the bootrec repairs that Rui & Medico suggested .. above, to no avail. I have had to use the repair disc to get into the repair console to use the Admin Cmd prompt and do the three record repairs each time I started the computer from cold start. I have now done this about 6 or seven times. Once time I even wrote and re-wrote each command three times ... over and over yet the 'boot mgr is missing still plagues me on each startup. Are there any other suggestions? Thanks for your help in advance.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Since you have a way to eventually get into Windows 7 you could install EasyBCD and take a look at the boot settings and also the diagnostics section, see if it can determine what the problem and remedy is. Download links are below the second screen shot of the program GUI.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll give it a try.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Since you have a way to eventually get into Windows 7 you could install EasyBCD and take a look at the boot settings and also the diagnostics section... GUI.
    Never got the chance. The computer hung up and when I tried starting it, boot mgr missing cme up. I then tried to use the repair disc, as I have in the past, to repair or use the 'bootrec... commands in command prompt but the repair console could not find an operating system to repair.
    I had to go back to a backup image of two weeks earlier. Lost a lot of current data ... emails etc.
    Still can't figure out this 'boot mgr is missing'.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a thought. Go into disk management and make sure whichever partition contains your boot files is marked as active.

Rich

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rlfvt View Post
    Just a thought. Go into disk management and make sure whichever partition contains your boot files is marked as active.

Rich
    Healthy and active, contains boot, system, page file, dump.