Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a SBS 2003 R2 server and from client PCs on the network I can log on to Outlook Web Access and Remote Desktop Connection, however, I can not get to the log on pages remotely. I'm using UltraVNC and I use OWA to collect and send emails via blackberry, I’m sure my router is set up correctly and the fault lies in a small configuration of the server, does the server have to be front end to allow remote access? Any suggestions most welcome!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    By remotely, I assume you mean outside the firewall. I've never tried to connect to a server using anything other than the Remote Desktop client, or LogMeIn. In the case of remote desktop, you must configure the router to pass traffice on port 3389 to the server, and you want to configure it to pass UDP and RDP as I recall.
    Wendell

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WendellB View Post
    By remotely, I assume you mean outside the firewall. I've never tried to connect to a server using anything other than the Remote Desktop client, or LogMeIn. In the case of remote desktop, you must configure the router to pass traffice on port 3389 to the server, and you want to configure it to pass UDP and RDP as I recall.
    Thanks for your input. Yes, I do mean outside the fire wall and RDP is configured on port 3389. I'm convinced the problem is server configuration, perhaps security settings as I can access the log on pages from the network and Blackberry is utilising OWA.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Happy,

We do not know your networking skill level so please do not be offended if I ask the obvious...

Do you have port 3389 forwarded to your SBS server on the firewall and can you confirm that the forward is working correctly? OWA uses ports 80, and 443 to connect so the fact that it works does not prove that you have the proper ports forwarded for RDP to connect

You will then use your.static.web.ipAddress in your RDP client when connecting from outside your LAN.

A more secure option is to use VPN to connect to the network, you would then access RDP using the ip address of the server.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    RDP to the server from the Internet is an open invitation to all the hackers.
    Set up RAS and use certificate based authentication, then install the required certificate on your remote PC(s).
    I would also use certificate based authentication for OWA and the crackberries.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mercyh View Post
    Do you have port 3389 forwarded to your SBS server on the firewall and can you confirm that the forward is working correctly? OWA uses ports 80, and 443 to connect so the fact that it works does not prove that you have the proper ports forwarded for RDP to connect
    Yes, checked and rechecked, all ports pointing in the right direction.

Thanks for your input.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi There

If you are trying to connect to your server using Remote Web Workplace over the Internet, Windows 2003 SBS needs to have port 4125 open on your firewall and you need to setup port forwarding on your firewall / router to point at the IP address of your server.

Give that a shot.

All the best

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Try using gosupportnow remote support service and check whether you are able to login remotely. If yes, issue seems to be in port forwarding. Visit this link http://portforward.com/ in order to open up your router ports.