Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Choosing between Windows 7 and Windows 8

I was checking out new computers on HP's website and I saw that Windows 8 has 2 categories
    --- Windows 8 & Windows 8 64
    --- Does Windows 8 mean that it's a 32 bit system or is there some over significance I should know?
    --- Since this is the newest OS I should check out how they run

I also noticed that Windows 7 64 is still available
    ---Is there an end of life time for this operating system?
    --- Right now I prefer to buy a Windows 7 64 since the ones my friends have work very nice especially compared to my XP computer

However I want to compare manufacturers and OS's before I decide what to buy

Thanks
    Get more information before you buy, talk to a rep if your questions are not properly addressed on the website.

Does Windows 8 mean that it's a 32 bit system or is there some over significance I should know?
    Yes, typically Windows 8 will be 32 bit unless specifically stating 64 bit.
    From the HP site, I have not seen a Windows 7 32 bit desktop computer on offer.

Windows lifecycle fact sheet

If you are purchasing a 64 bit OS ensure that you are getting at least 6GB of RAM at a minimum of 1300MHz
    Don't get stuck with a 64 bit system that only has 4GB of memory.

Compare operating systems

compare PC manufacturers
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2013-02-09)

Thanks
    I'm sure Clint will be ok if I add a bit to what he has said.

1st of all I do recommend, @ this point in time, if it is a matter of choice between 7 & 8, go w/ 8. There are many things & reasons that contribute to this recommendation.
    2. I will always recommend x64 over x86. And, yes, x64 must have a minimum of 4GB RAM to make any sense, at all... more can certainly never do any harm. When you purchase Windows 8 it comes w/ both 32-bit & 64-bit installation discs. As long as the hardware supports x64, that is the preferred choice.

You don't need 7 just because your friends, still, are running it... everything is compatible between 7 & 8 so, there will be not 'gap' felt between you & what your friends are doing.... well not a negative one for you, @ any rate. Sometime they may catch up to you

If you are talking about running Windows 8 on a laptop, ASUS machines are very good. I will be bold enough to say I do not recommend Dell or HP. If you are talking about running Windows 8 on a desktop, my best recommendation is have one custom built for you by an independent consultant or shop... as opposed to a pre-loaded unit off the shelf from a big-box store.

Again, my recommendation would be to go w/ Windows 8 as the smartest option.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo.jpg

Thanks
    The other consideration is that the new PC with Win 8 pre=loaded, whether 32 Bit or 64 Bit is most likely Win 8 Standard, not Win 8 Pro. Compare the 2 versions to see if the Standard version will work for you or do you need the Pro version.

My personal preference is Win 8 Pro. I have replaced Win 7 Ultimate on our PCs with Win 8 Pro. I will not go back to Win 7. The differences have been discussed in detail through this forum, so I will not rehash all that here. If you decide on Win 8, check out the Sticky Threads in this forum for many tips to use Win 8 more efficiently.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you
    After reviewing your comments I'm going with Winows 8 64 bit.
    I only use my computer for Word, Excel and sometimes Powerpoint
    My brother plays Pogo games
    We both use Yahoo for our home page & Yahoo email
    In my case I might switch to Google

Thanks
    Your call but, personally I do not care for yahoo or google.

Good choice, going w/ Win8 x64.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo.jpg

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Just be aware that the Win 8 interface will be completely different from your friend's Win 7. It's pretty much unusable with a non-touch interface until you get some addons like a start menu or are able to learn and be satisfied using the alternative methods for desktop program access. BTW, Win 7 support ends sometime in the year 2020. Most of us are very unsatisfied with those alternative methods but a good start menu can tame that beast.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    Thank you
    After reviewing your comments I'm going with Winows 8 64 bit.
    I only use my computer for Word, Excel and sometimes Powerpoint
    My brother plays Pogo games
    We both use Yahoo for our home page & Yahoo email
    In my case I might switch to Google
    Do your own research and LOOK into what you are actually buying.
    Form your own opinions by doing the work and NOT relying on others' opinions.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Administrator
    Thanks
    IMO, you can use Win8 and its UI with or without a touch interface. I do it all day everyday - mostly non-touch. It takes a little getting used to but it is not a big deal. I will say that I still spend most of my time in the desktop so some of the difficulties others perceive about the interface are mitigated somewhat. But, I do use the main Win8 UI often and don't see the big deal.

If you are lucky enough to live near a Microsoft store go there and see some machines that are setup without the garbage the many OEMs load.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Do your own research and LOOK into what you are actually buying.
    Form your own opinions by doing the work and NOT relying on others' opinions.
    I would like to echo Clint's recommendation here. The only consideration I would add is that with the proper add ons (Classic Shell or other Start menu add on and disabling the hot spots), you can make Windows 8 look and operate just like Windows 7. Although I personally don't see any killer capabilities in Windows 8 over Windows 7, it will be supported by Microsoft longer, so for that reason alone I would choose Windows 8 when buying new. I don't see any reason to upgrade an existing Windows 7 box though.

But as Clint says, make up your own mind.

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for your inputs. As I do my research I know I'll have the confidence to find the computer that I'll be happy with.

Thanks
    Just to clarify...

Windows 8 works very, very, nicely without Touch AND without adding any unnecessary 3rd party add-ins like, Start8 or Classic Shell. It is easy & pleasant to use without bothering to put in such things. Please, don't be lead to believe such stuff must be added... it does not.

There is, also, much to be gained & appreciated in or with Windows 8 and much of that is not in the form of superficial cosmetics or blatantly obvious Features. There are some cool Features but, there are abilities & technologies in it that make it worthwhile & superior to any previous Windows OS.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo.jpg

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    When you purchase Windows 8 it comes w/ both 32-bit & 64-bit installation discs.
    With a new computer?

Bruce

Thanks
    I believe Drew was mentioning purchase of Win 8 in DVD form. It was not totally clear. When purchased pre-installed on a new PC it will only have the "bitness" of the PC and will probably not come with installation disks. In this case the user would need to make Recovery disks.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    I believe Drew was mentioning purchase of Win 8 in DVD form. It was not totally clear. When purchased pre-installed on a new PC it will only have the "bitness" of the PC and will probably not come with installation disks. In this case the user would need to make Recovery disks.
    But he was doing it in the same post where he recommended for and against purchasing various brands of laptop and desktop, seeming to answer "checking out new computers".

That's why I found it totally confusing.

Bruce

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast