New Lounger
    Thanks

: Unable to format CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW

I have an HP Pavilion dv6205tx, which I have recently upgraded from Vista to Windows 8, using a clean install from a Windows 8 CD. Everything works fine, except I can not format or write to CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW. I get a message stating "Windows are unable to format". I have no problems running anything from pre-recorded CD's or DVD's. The installed CDROM driver is by Microsoft, Version 6.2.9200.16384, dated 6-21-2006, which I assume was installed as part of Windows 8. Neither Microsoft or HP were able to help, however I was informed that I should try to install the driver in Windows 7 compatibility mode and to carry this out I am to "right-click on the setup file of the driver and then click on ‘Troubleshoot Compatibility’ and select Windows 7 to follow the prompt". Unfortunately I can not find the "setup file" to this out. Any help in locating the setup file or other solution to my problem will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Reinstall your CD/DVD ROM burning software or update it accordingly if it is not compatible with Windows 8.

Windows 8 compatible CD/DVD burning software

If you have traditionally relied on the OS to burn CD/DVDs, try one of the applications listed in the above link.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-02-08 at 22:34.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to format CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW" update

CLiNT,

Thank you for you prompt response. Perhaps I have not made myself very clear, but what I am trying to do is to create a bootable media and not backing up pictures or music. However I shall try the burning software recommended by you. I shall let you know the outcome.

Regards.

Thanks
    Windows 8 should be able to perform this without issue, unless there is a problem, most likely in the upgrade install.
    [open an elevated command prompt and paste: sfc /scannow]

You might also try locating the device in device manager, then "uninstall" it. Reboot, allow recognition and reinstallation, and see if the issue persists.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Red face Unable to format CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW

Clint,

Thank you for your help. I tried uninstalling the device, but it did nor work. I have also tried the four applications recommended by you. The only one that worked was the InfraRecorder. None of the other three recognised the disc. So as far as I am concerned the issue is resolved.