Thanks

Encryption busting - today's newsletter article raised questions

In yesterday's newsletter I read about an app that breaks your encrypted files by looking around in your computer for keys you have typed in previously. http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter...ption-systems/. Now someone needs to write another app that looks in all those same places and removes the encryption trail...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    who/where is a transcript of your typing being saved and why?

i am missing something obvious or this is a non problem.

this looks like a flaw in the encryption program. delete it. use a good program.

the only time a password shoudl be on your pc is when you type it into the program that will use it to crypt/decrypt a file/HD. nobody should be saving it. If that software is saving it then you need new software because deleting the password would make the program fail. And if it doesnt fail then that program is too insecure to be using at all.

i hope you dont save all yoru passwords in soem file on the pc!. if so print them and delete the file.

Thanks
    You should read the article. It sounds like things aren't that simple anymore. Here is a more direct link to it: https://windowssecrets.com/top-story...ption-systems/

Apparently some pretty mainstream encryption apps like Bitlocker leave traces behind and someone has figured out how to find them. That's my understanding anyway. I'm not a security pro. It sounds like it's difficult to use at this point, but now that someone has taken the first step, it will become progressively easier and more effective. Such is the way of software.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    if they do then they are bogus bad software for security and you should not use them

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball View Post
    if they do then they are bogus bad software for security and you should not use them
    You misunderstand. It is not the encryption software that leaves a trail - it is the Windows OS that leaves the trail. Read the article.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows