Thread: x86 AND x64?

Thanks

x86 AND x64?

I am running 64-bit Windows. Often if I install a program that adds to my startup entries, it will add both an x86 and an x64 entry. Are both of these needed? Can't I just have the x64 entry? Microsoft's Intellipoint software even does this.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    As you are probably aware, they are 32 bit and 64 bit versions of the same program. If you only use one version, you don't need the other but whether you can cleanly uninstall one of the two depends on the uninstaller program. Its not usually recommended to just delete the files because of associated registry entries. In some cases, using the 64 bit version is not recommended - Microsoft Office 2010 comes to mind as well as IE although 64 bit IE may have been fixed by now.

Unless you are raelly hurting for disk space and things are running fine, I wouldn't worry about it and leave things as they are.
    Jerry

Thanks
    So Jerry, then I just disable the file [ via msconfig] that is loading the one that I don't need?

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Are you sure? I just examined my startup entries and find no 32-bit & 64-bit versions of the same software.

Joe

Thanks
    Joe, when I installed the Intellitype and Intellipoint on a clean Windows 7 install, yes, I go both the 64- and 32-bit items showing. Figuring that since my Windows was 64-bit, I just "unchecked" the other startup. I haven't noticed any problems, but was a bit surprised the MS wouldn't just install one. Then I noticed that several programs did the same thing.

Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    Can you post a picture of the startup items showing the full path?

Joe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    PowerShell is an example of a program that will install both 32 & 64 bit versions on a 64 bit machine. You actually get 4 versions the Command Line version and the IDE version for both 32 & 64 bit!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Joe / RG;

RG, I'm glad you jumped in, because I couldn't find an old backup with the x86 versions still in place. I DO know that, as per the pic below, both HKLM and HKLM-64-bit would show up on install.

Chuck

64-bit.png

Thanks
    Chuck:

There are cases when you need the 32-bit version of the software. For example, some websites work better if you browse to them using the 32-bit version of IE as opposed to the 64-bit version.

There's no harm in having both versions, and so therefore I recommend that you keep both.

Jim

Thanks
    Jim, I could understand that if there was, as you point out, a question of compatibility with a web site. But does that apply with base hardware files as well, like MS Intellipoint?

There's no question of conflict or incompatibility between the two versions? Maybe "turn them off" but leave them installed?

Chuck

Thanks
    I personally would leave them installed. If there's an icon for each version, you might want to create a "32-bit" folder and move all of the 32-bit icons to that folder, thereby reducing clutter on your desktop.

I doubt you'll have any issues with Intellipoint software. And for other software, such as your printer software, you'll likely only have one version installed. For stuff that you have no doubt that you'll ever need the other version, I'd uninstall it if there was an easy way to do it. If there wasn't an easy way to uninstall it, I'd leave it, because the only thing you gain by getting rid of it is that you eliminate some clutter.

Thanks
    You might want to uninstall all intellipoint software with revo and reinstall the 64 bit version from here. It really shouldn't have loaded the 32 bit version. It should also work if you just disable the 32 bit from startup but starting over is cleaner.

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2013-02-11 at 19:15. Reason: added missing link to softawre.

Thanks
    Is the Intellitype the same, Jerry?

Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    The x64 version is for 64-bit OSes and should be the same for any one device. If you have a Microsoft mouse and keyboard use the newer "Mouse and Keyboard Center" which you can download at the Microsoft hardware.

Joe

Thanks
    Intellitype 64 bit is on the same page under "What others are downloading".

Jerry