New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 does something useful- it repairs itself off its own bat!

I don't know if anyone else has experienced the same as happened to me last week; perhaps others can tell if they have been so lucky as me;

In attempting to use an old Adaptec RAID card in my desktop, I installed the management software after successfully installing the hardware. The PC rebooted, but at the moment it should have opened onto the welcome screen, a BSOD appeared for about a tenth of a second, and it went straight into another reboot. These reboots kept happening, three times in all, and I was beginning to panic , with visions of re-installation ahead.
    At the third time, as if a lifebelt was thrown to a drowning man, another screen appeared, saying something like "You seem to haveing a problem with your computer - would you like Windows to help repair it".
    Quickly pressing the "Yes" button, the next screen said that it would perform a System Restore to cure the problem. This it rapidly did, and my PC rebooted into a stable state.

After installing Windows 8, I have not been overimpressed with its features, and generally do my work on 7, with my dual boot. However, this feature above seems to be a lifesaver - my previous install of 7 had a similar problem, and in that case the only answer I found then was re-installation.

Thanks
    Those of us that have customized our Win 8 to feel and look like Win 7 have this and other added features and still seems like we are working in Win 7. These kinds of things make Win 8 the better option IMO.
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-02-11 at 05:42.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for replying.
    Were you aware of this feature before? Having read quite a lot in the press, both expert and not so expert, about 8's advantages, I do not recall anyone saying that 8 could repair itself almost autonomously, and it seems quite a leap forward.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Aware it is there yes, we've talked about them here recently, though not everyone gets those repair/startup routines due to differing installations unless this is something in addition to the advanced startup options and hidden recovery folder. It will be a nice convenience if it proves itself over time, especially for novice users who wouldn't know what to do. It's been a trivial exercise to perform a system restore either by command line, safe mode or the equivalent by boot disc since probably Windows ME (since it included System Restore I believe), XP for sure.
    In helping resolve a problem Win 8 may be creating one though as some folks have a devilishly hard time getting into safe mode.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-02-10 at 18:54.

Thanks
    It is just like many features, some systems will see something work whereas other systems will not see that same feature work. I actually did see that feature work during the beta test period. I do not remember the exact details, but something unexpected happened and Win 8 told me it found and fixed a problem automatically. I am not sure if the feature you describe is the same as what helped me, but it seems similar.

It seems each new version of Windows has included more of these type features.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    F.U.N. said:

Aware it is there yes, we've talked about them here recently

I did a search for this topic on this forum before posting, but nothing came up, so I assumed it hadn't been mentioned previously.

For the record I couldn't get into safe mode during booting.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Before making any hardware changes, especially inside the box, you should disable fast startup first.to make sure the computer fully powers down. I had a similar experience right after installing win 8 when I installed a USB 3.0 pci card. Thought I had hosed the system until win 8 corrected the problem after several reboot

Rich

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rlfvt For This Useful Post:

jon hawk (2013-02-11)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info - I had forgotten about fast startup. Ironically, when I installed my USB 3 pci card last week it all worked just fine.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, some of these so-called features are more directed at devices that may be less powerful, not have optic drives and the like and if they work in the desktop environment predictably as well, good, that's what a technician or home fix it person wants, predictability, not a 10 hour hair pulling event every time up to the plate (for the ones who defy the 2 hour nuke rule). I think however that these features that were not so much designed for the desktop environment, where one can have multiple operating systems, multiple disks, optic drives, non standard boot loaders, addon cards,...well, it's all unpredictable enough as it is and its going to take some time to figure out all the detrimental aspects of these features, not just bubble about the benefits. I haven't used safe mode in quite some time, maybe I just think I need safe mode fallback at the ready.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jon hawk View Post
    Thanks for replying.
    Were you aware of this feature before? Having read quite a lot in the press, both expert and not so expert, about 8's advantages, I do not recall anyone saying that 8 could repair itself almost autonomously, and it seems quite a leap forward.
    There are also a lot of things that can't be fixed with the automated Windows 8 diagnostics and repair, especially in my experience with the OS.
    As most repairs will require knowledgeable user interaction, just like all previous operating systems have.
    You may have just gotten lucky on that one.

In many instances I would rather be faced with a busy blue screen with lots of info on it, as opposed to just a smiley face telling me there was a problem.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The original problem only resonded with a BSOD that appeared for a split second, and try as I might, I couldn't make it remain on screen, so any info was unavailable for interpretation. However you may well be right in that I got lucky this time, if this feature has been around for the last few versions of Windows - it certainly didn't attempt to solve any of the major problems I've had in the past.
    If the BS had remained, the only problem I would have found would have been in understanding the codes MS uses - more often than not I find them too general in their meaning or else they are not included in MS's database. Where do you look for Meaning?

Thanks
    FWIW, Windows 7 has this same capability, failover repair, but it isn't enabled by default. It's also not necessarily easy to setup by the end user, but it can be done. So it's not new in Windows 8, it's just setup by default in Windows 8.

I don't use the Windows 8 bootmgr, preferring Windows 7 bootmgr, so it's effectively disabled in my setup. And no, I haven't enabled it in Windows 7, either. Restoring a drive image is my preference when I pooch the system tinkering around.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-02-16 at 09:04.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This forum is the only place where the feature under discussion has been mentioned, to my knowledge. It may well be fully described in some part of computerdom only frequented by power users, but every review, article etc I've read - and I've read quite a few and not just the ones in newspapers - has avoided this subject.
    Anyway, thanks for all your comments and ideas.

Thanks
    In windows 8, Actions center's "review reliability problem history" is not a bad place to go to for flagged high profile issues too, along with the Windows Event Veiwer.
    Action Center RH.jpg
    A Google or Bing search may be needed to help interpret much of what you may find in a typical BSOD.
    Many error codes can pertain to a number of potential issues, either hardware or software, and it's not
    that easy to sust out, even for experienced computer users.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for those ideas - I'll look at them the next time I have trouble.