New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2010 Inbox Rules not working

Hello All,

I have a very straightforward inbox rule which I run manually from time to time.
    Specifically, I manually run the rule many times a day every day for a week, quarterly.
    Last quarter it worked. This morning it worked, now it doesn't.

FWIW, the rule is:
    Apply to message
    sent to "admin@blahblah.com"
    and with "has been enrolled" in the subject
    move it to the "2013Q1 Enrollments" folder.

I've had 96 enrollments today that won't move out of my general Inbox into the specified folder.
    I've deleted and recreated the rule, as suggested in a similar thread on this site, to no effect. Rebooted too: nada.

Suggestions, ideas appreciated!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Welcome to the Lounge.

Do you have more than one email account in Outlook? Have you checked the email headers to make sure the account is the same as the rule?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Although I have several email accounts, they're all managed in Outlook; the rule applies to all emails in my Outlook inbox.
    The "admin@blahblah.com" is an email that forwards to me and all members of my Tech Team.

x

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Joe's point is that when you have multiple accounts, even with them going into the Inbox, the dialog box that allows you to run the rules has a dropdown labeled Apply changes to this folder. You need to make sure that whatever choice you have in that folder, applies to the account's inbox where you want the rule applied.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    It is important to know the exact options selected for the rules too. I have found that using "specific words" works better than accounts or addresses if the specific words are always there. "Specific words" can be an email address or name or just about anything.

Joe

Thanks
    Edit the rule settings, and when you get to the screen where the destination is specified, scroll up and down through the list of folders to make sure you are searching in the correct PST file. If you have more than one PST file, it could easily be going to the wrong one.