Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Surface Test Of USB Connected External Hard Drive

I ran a surface test with MiniTool Partition Wizard and it registered over 3000 errors on each of the 2 partitions on the drive. However, when I ran the surface test with Hard Disk Sentinel it said there were no bad blocks whatsoever, Can anyone explain the discrepancy between the results?
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

2. The Following User Says Thank You to royw For This Useful Post:

BAW30s (2013-03-14)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    No modern hard disk should report any errors because the disks auto correct errors internally. If they report errors it's time for a new disk.
    I expect the methodology of MiniTool is dodgy.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    A "true" surface test can take a number of hours to run - it checks the individual segments of the drive surface. An example of a true surface test utility is Gibson Research's "SpinRite", (which is not a free utility), and takes a good long time to run. It will perform a non-destructive read/write test on each and every segment of the disk. It takes hours on a large disk with no errors, and I've used it on a bad disk prepping for file recovery software, and it ran for more than 30 hours.

If the utilities you used didn't take a few hours to run, then they were using algorithms, not "true" surface tests, to determine what is "bad", and the differences in the reports are due to differences in the algorithms used.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-02-12 at 14:35.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    bbearren, thanks. The utilities I used both ran for hours. Since my first post I also ran a surface test with Active@ Hard Disk Monitor, and that found no errors.
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just to say that I had similar results when using Minitools Partition Wizard surface test (thousands of errors) and EaseUs Check Partition (none): it would appear that Minitools has a problem here, although I haven't tried the new 7.8 edition yet.