New Lounger
    Thanks

Win Server 2003 w/SQL - want disk image software recommends...

Have been using SBS win server 2003 with SQL for a number of years using an LTO Tape drive and Backup Exec for doing regular backups. The LTO has been problematic even after a re-build, so I am in the hunt for recommendations on some disk image backup software. Simply, would like to use a usb hd to do weekly images of the entire server for a fast restore (to new hardware if necessary) and would like software recommendations. Doesn't have to be fancy, just do the job. Have seen talk about Macrium Reflect and want to know that and what other products people are using sucessfully...
    Thanks.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,152 Times in 1,061 Posts
    Hi,

Welcome to the Lounge.

Often the requirements for server operating systems are different. Acronis, for example costs a lot more when the license is for SBS (around 4 times more). Macrium Reflect Server is a bit less expensive ($199), which is the same price as EaseUS Todo Backup for Windows Server. I suppose either option would be good enough.

If you are using SQL Server, probably you know this anyway, but you should use a different product to backup your databases, unless there are not database transactions going on when you backup, in order to ensure transactionally consistent backups. SQL Server native backups ensure this, though.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Backup Exec will backup to disk with the correct license, but I have never liked the BE interface nor its restore arrangements. As it's a single server I'd look at one of ruirib's suggestions.

cheers, Paul