Lounger
    Thanks

Font format for a single word (2K SR1)

Hi,

In Word 97, it was not necessary to select the whole word, to apply a font format to a single word.
    In Word 2K, this feature seems to be no longer there. I have to doubleclick a word to select it, before I can apply a format. Is there a setting to reverse this disturbing behaviour?

Thank you
    Doris

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Font format for a single word (2K SR1)

It could be that under Tools, Options, Edit - the "When selecting, automatically select entire word" is unchecked. Try it again with it checked. Hope that helps.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks a lot, this works.

Actually, I had seen thisoption before. But I left it unchecked because I thought its sole purpose was to select whole words when a selection starts in the middle of a word and continues beyond it.
    I don't like this feature, because most of the time, I write in German, and very often I have to change a word's ending when I change the following word(s). The easiest way to do this is to select the ending and the following word(s) and overwrite the whole selection. With "When selecting, automatically select entire word", I can no longer work this way.

It seems that Word 2K makes me choose between a nuisance and another one.
    Thank you for your prompt response.
    Doris

Lounger
    Thanks

I think I remember something about a key that would work with the mouse to override the "select entire word," but don't remember what it was, or if I am just imagining it.

For myself, I have found that I prefer to use the keyboard to do more precise selecting, in part to work around this feature, also then my hands are in place to type.

I guess the choices are based upon what you need to do most often.

Lounger
    Thanks

I experimented a little with keys and I found that it is the Alt-key which overrides the "select entire word". Thank you for the suggestion. But as you said, it is probably even better to use the keyboard for this type of selection.