3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to format booklet in Word 2003

Before I purchase another program to produce a booklet, can someone tell me how to format the pages of a booklet (number of columns, margins, finished font, etc.) in Word 2003? I am producing a directory and when I print, it comes out three columns with the inside columns pretty close to the center fold, which makes it difficult when stapled. The font is also a bit small when printed. Is there a way to format before printing to adjust these settings? Thanks in advance!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Increasing the font size should be straightforward - are you really asking how to do this in Word?

The column widths and gaps in between can be adjusted manually but are generally left as automatic. If I was doing a three column layout then I would expect to make the column spacing twice the size of the outside margins on the page. To do this on Word 2003:
    1. Firstly, go to File > Page Setup and set the left and right margins to your preferred size
    2. Next, go to Format > Columns and change the sizes and spacing as you wish.

If you start with automatic column widths this will get you almost all the way there but you can override the sizes if you need to tweak it further
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can also add some gutter width (in the Page Setup dialog) to effectively push the text area further out from the inside margin to make room for the binding.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I've found the easiest way to form a booklet is to do all the content in word (doesn't matter what version), convert the entire thing to PDF and use an on-line booklet maker http://bookletcreator.com/ which does all the work of paginating, numbering pages etc and setting up the printing in whatever page size you specify.
    All you need to do is print and bind. I've done this with a 300 page book.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Another way to do this is to use Publisher 2003 if you have it. Importing your Word document into Publisher allows ypou to print it as a booklet. This at least is true for Office 2007, Is it true for Office 2003?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    K32Rem,

How about this:
    BookFold.PNG
    I use this setting to produce a phone book from Access by just dumping the report in to a template setup this way. Note: you can play with the margins if you are going to punch holes or staple depending on how much room you need. The nice thing is that windows will figure out what to print on each sheet of paper so that when the whole thing is printed you just fold in half and fasten. Of course, it does require a duplexing printer.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    2 possible solutions to suggest
    1. check your printer software
    Some printers allow you to print in various styles - 2 pages to a page, 4 to a page and booklet are quite common
    2. Try Fineprint software
    Fineprint installs as a system printer that you 'print' to from any program
    It can then manipulate the output that you specify before printing
    It is great for combining multiple documents into a single printed copy
    We use it at work to downsize 4 pages to a page with 2 documents combined
    One feature it offers is booklet printing
    just make up your document/book on individual pages and print to fineprint - select booklet and it will order (and rotate if necessary) the pages to print them as required
    It will also manipulate margins appropriately
    Free trial available - so download and have a try risk free - http://fineprint.com/
    Maybe Malaus suggestion does the same thing free/cheaper?
    NOBLEJOKER
    Sth Coast NSW Australia
    My Tech Help Site www.techhelpsite.com
    My Computer Club www.mulligrubs.miltonulladulla.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    K32Rem,

How about this:
    BookFold.PNG
    I use this setting to produce a phone book from Access by just dumping the report in to a template setup this way. Note: you can play with the margins if you are going to punch holes or staple depending on how much room you need. The nice thing is that windows will figure out what to print on each sheet of paper so that when the whole thing is printed you just fold in half and fasten. Of course, it does require a duplexing printer.

HTH
    The key for all of your formatting in Word is be sure to have the "correct" print driver set as your default driver before you begin formatting.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I always use Adobe Reader (AR) to print a booklet. Create your document in Word using full size A4 (or Letter), SaveAs a PDF. Then open it in AR, select the Booklet option and set the printer to duplex.

Note that a booklet is a multiple of 4 pages, so you need extra blank pages at the end of your document to make it a multiple of 4. Word can do this, but I've seen so many printer drivers screw up this task with Word: AR seems absolutely reliable.