5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Install two updates before shopping for flowers

PATCH WATCH

Install two updates before shopping for flowers

By Susan Bradley

Microsoft must not feel the love leading up to Valentine's Day; February is often replete with Windows updates. This Patch Tuesday had just a few critical updates you need to take care of immediately; the rest can wait until you have some spare time.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/install-two-updates-before-shopping-for-flowers/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2013-02-13 at 18:43.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I hope I'm in the right forum here since I have a question about MS updates, but if I'm not, please redirect me.

I've been getting the usual notifications the last couple of days about updates for MS Office 2010 32-bit version, which I have been declining by unchecking them since I'm running MS Office on Win 7 64-bit, but they keep coming back. Do I really need to download them or is there some way I can keep them from coming back over and over?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    KB 2797052 I can't find a place in order to download both updates that is in your post.KB 2792100 (MS13-009) What ideas can I use

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Don View Post
    I hope I'm in the right forum here since I have a question about MS updates, but if I'm not, please redirect me.

I've been getting the usual notifications the last couple of days about updates for MS Office 2010 32-bit version, which I have been declining by unchecking them since I'm running MS Office on Win 7 64-bit, but they keep coming back. Do I really need to download them or is there some way I can keep them from coming back over and over?
    By default, Microsoft Office 2010 installs the 32-bit version of Office 2010 even if your computer is running 64-bit editions of Windows.
    Choose the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Office

If Windows Update says you need an update, then you almost certainly do.

Bruce

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

Mr Don (2013-02-14)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ts8026 View Post
    KB 2797052 I can't find a place in order to download both updates that is in your post.KB 2792100 (MS13-009) — What ideas can I use
    Click the links that Susan provides in the article, then click the appropriate download link for your versions of Internet Explorer and Windows.

Bruce

Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, Bruce. Thanks. I'll do that.

Lounger
    Thanks
    This latest Patch Tuesday and the corresponding Patch Watch by Susan Bradley allowed me to get current with my patches on two XP machines, with one exception. I was first offered kb982524, .NET frameworks 3.5 SP1 and 2.0 SP2 Update for Windows Server 2003 and XP x86, on 4/26/12 despite the fact that the support article is dated 6/21/2010. I have been through the Patch Watch and Patch charts back through early June, 2010, and the only mention I found of KB982524 in Patch Watch was in #249 6/24/2010, where we are told to skip it until Susan says that it's OK to install, but as near as I can tell, it was never heard from again. I searched the archives to find that comment using 982524 as the key word (only one hit), whereas KB982524 did not find it.

If it were not one of the infamous .NET patches, I would chance it, but in this case I would like a reference or recommendation on whether to install it. I have not had any previous problems with .NET patches in Win XP or in Win7. I really appreciate the trouble Susan Bradley goes to, to provide patching information and recommendations. But this one patch has been bugging me for months.

Thanks for any help,
    Gary
    Last edited by gpeyton; 2013-02-16 at 18:28. Reason: word left out

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you historically had any issues getting .net updated in the past?

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have not had any problems with .Net patches in the past with either XP or Win7.