5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Software SmackDown: Office 2013 vs. Office 365

WOODY'S WINDOWS

Software SmackDown: Office 2013 vs. Office 365

By Woody Leonhard

Microsoft released Office 2013 on Jan. 29; soon after, my inbox was choked with questions about the differences between Office 2013 and Office 365.

The two Offices share the major components Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and (optionally) Outlook but just about everything else is different.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/woodys-windows/software-smackdown-office-2013-vs-office-365/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a simple solution to MS's Office 2013 decrees. I'm staying at Office 2010 and expect to be here until 2020. After that I'll rethink it. I stayed on office 2000 for about 7 years and it did not cause me any serious issues and when I did upgrade to Office 2007 it had the same bugs and a stupid Ribbon interface which drove me crazy for months.

Upgrading with expectations about bugs being fixed and paying a small fortune for more candy floss and the same bugs; I just cannot see the point in upgrading and I'm not paying for subscription services so they can force me to change whenever it suits them with all the requisite reworking of templates and Access databases etc needing to be done NOW when I'm busy making a living.

If I was not a business user, I'd have given MS the total flick and gone to Ubuntu and Libreoffice - it might have bugs and limitations also but at least I wouldn't be paying for them.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile

I really liked Office 2003 and it met my needs, but my family was using Office 2010 at school and my wife likes that for her personal projects, so we have licensed copies of Home and Student on almost all the computers, but I can't use it for business. Well, I've kicked the MS Office habit and have been using Libre Office since it came out for all my business work (I had started with Office 2003 for business and 2007 for the family). For many things I prefer Libre Office and the development is really going gangbusters. The last few conference presentations I've done have been in LO Impress.

As many of you know, LO is a fork from OpenOffice.Org but is really moving ahead with many of the original OOO developers now on the LO team.

I am also doing a layout for a book my wife is doing for the 125th anniversary of her high school in Scribus, an Open Source page layout program. I would have preferred InDesign, but I couldn't get an upgrade as I had not upgraded recently enough. It seems Adobe is only allowing upgrades one or two versions back.

I posted two articles in my blog a couple of years ago about mostly open source software and some proprietary software that seems to be good value.
    http://richardhess.com/notes/categor...data/software/

Thanks for making me NOT lust after Office 2013.

Cheers,

Richard
    Last edited by rlhess; 2013-02-15 at 23:26.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Office 2010 Pro on Windows 7 Pro on my laptop for my consultant and personal usage. I also just bought my wife a laptop with Windows 7 Home, but haven't yet bought Office for her. I might be interested in using the rental Office 365 Home Premium versus buying her an Office 2010/2013 license. However, I have two questions:
    1. If I go to the rental Office 365 Home Premium, do I have to use the online storage or can I use the new office the same way I used the older Office 2010 (i.e., purely local on my laptop)?
    2. They mention not using Office 365 Home Premium for commercial work. Does my consulting work (I use Outlook for business emails and calendaring, and typical WORD, EXCEL, and POWERPOINT for creating and editing docs, spreadsheets, and presentations) prevent me from using the Office 365 Home Premium version?