New Lounger
    Thanks

Cool Windows Update Problems

I am NOT a computer minded person. As long as they work, everything seems fine. When they won't work, I cannot fix them myself. Now... problem is with updates. At some point, about a year ago, the update didn't 'take'. The system (Win7) and I have retried that same update about umpteen-dozen times and gotten the same results. It failed. I tried to go thru HP, where I bought the 'puter, but was advised it was not THEIR problem, advised me to go to MS for the fix. I tried MS but all they would tell me is that I would have to pay them $99.00 before they would even LISTEN to my problem(s). I have accepted the fact that I am not going to get that fixed. Now, my question is as follows. If I do an Upgrade to Win8, would that do away with the update problem? Or would I STILL have the same problem? Thanks

Thanks
    Microsoft will fix Windows Update problems for free.
    First try the Windows Update Trouble shooter:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...troubleshooter

If that doesn't help, try the "get live help" button at:
    http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

An upgrade install to Windows 8 is unlikely to solve your problem as the underlying fault will probably be carried over to the new installation. Only a clean install that requires reinstallation of all your programs and data would have a good chance of working.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, I left part of the problem description out. I did contact MS. They walked me through quite a few steps but got no results. We went into several things that I knew nothing about but, after I gave them permission to adjust/change settings on my computer, they went to work. They clicked on everythibg that had a box at several places and did all kinds of changes. But everything tried got the same results. They deleted things and restarted my system many, many times. They then told me that it was beyond them and I needed to go to the next level. At THAT point I got the $99.00 to continue request. I skipped over that action and just went to the $99 thinking that EVERYONE would know what I meant. Oops... Sorry about that.

Thanks
    On the off chance you picked up an infection, download and run Malwarebytes using the full scan option.

Which update "didn't take"?

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The message I kept getting was "KB2636927" needs to be installed before it can do anything else. That seems to show "Update Agent 7.6.7600.256". I copied that from a message box but have no idea what that actually means. As far as the Malwarebytes thing, HP did run several full scans during the time I was dealing with them. They all came back saying that nothing was found.

Update: I have downloaded the Malwarebytes thingy and it is running now. It says that it has detected two objects. I'll let you know more when it finishes. Thanks!
    Last edited by Cntry_Gentleman; 2013-02-14 at 14:06.

Thanks
    After Malwarebytes completes, make sure everything it finds is checked and select Fix (don't remember the exact terminology) reboot and try Windows Update again.
    KB2636927 is a Silverlight update. If Windows Update still doesn't work, trybooting into safe mode with networking and download the update from here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=29715

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey, got me workin' on a 'puter! I have already told my wife that she needs to get me one of them little plastic thingies to put pens in my shirt pocket. I can't tell you what she replied to me. But just ignore her, I'll get back when I get to the next point where I don't know what to do.
    Thanks!

Thanks
    You're welcome.. You can tell your wife we made you an honorary nerd!

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, that's it. Next time, YOU tell her.
    ;->

Thanks
    Hey "nerd", welcome to the Lounge!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, here's the latest. The Malwarebytes thingie completed it's run in the record time of 9 hrs, 56 mins, XX secs. It showed a total of 8 items found and I did a restart to complete the cleaning. Since then I have been trying to get to the "Safe Mode" to try the updates. I did not know that it was gonna be this hard to be 'geek'. Seems I have slipped just a bit into the 'gook' queue instead. My "Help(less)" screen seems to tell me that, to get to the "Safe Mode" I need to do a restart, hitting the 'F8' key before the "Windows-That-Looks-Like-A-Flag" thingie starts to flutter. Man, if I hit this thing any harder it's gonna break this stupid keyboard! But I STILL can't get to that "Safe Mode". Humph... Gonnd windup in the "KA-Mode" if it doesn't work soon! (Mutter-mumble-skrahga-folzidap-ragasluuzid!!)

Thanks
    Boot into windows, click on the start orb and type Msconfig and then Enter.
    Click on the boot tab and check the safe boot box and the network radio button.
    Reboot
    You should wind up in safe mode. It does take longer than your normal boot so be patient.
    The screen will be larger as your video driver is not loaded.
    Run Windows Update.
    When done, run Msconfig again and uncheck the safe boot box.
    Reboot and you should be back to normal.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, that was nice for practice. I'm pretty good at clicking (left clicking, right clicking, dbbl-clicking and almost breaking the little clickie thing CLICKING) now. However, none of these produced any reactions. Well, other than my clicker-finger is now sore. Let me clarify... The item that wouldn't do anything was the Windows Update thingie. The only way I can get to it is to click Start, All Programs and find it in the list. It acted just like a teenager and ignored every order I clicked to it. I already determined from my last computer that it doesn't do any good to whomp them up side the hard-head cause (1) they don't HAVE a head and (2) it costs more to fix them that it was worth to start with. And, after you whomp em, if you see a bit of smoke connin up out of the sides/front you might just as well throw em away anyhow.