New Lounger
    Thanks

Default printer not being saved

This is the problem-> The default printer (regardless of the make/model) which I pick stays for about a day but then the next day when I remote in (I do not log off of the terminal server, I just end my session) my default printer goes to one of the PDF writers that I use.

The set up -> terminal server is 2008 R2, back end server is a SBS 2011

Is this a bug with Microsoft because it has been popping up more recently after I moved my servers to the data center. This happens in PCs with XP as a base OS and also with Win7.

Any thoughts?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    The default printer on your PC or the terminal server?
    If you select a default printer that only exists on the TS then disconnect your machine may reset the default printer to a local printer.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks

Event Log 1530 errors?

For your Remote Desktop clients on RDS Windows Server 2008 R2 , are you also getting Event Log 1530 errors? This is related to the user's User Profile not properly being released/updated during logoff. We're still looking for 1530 solutions....

Thanks
    Although this doesn't solve the problem, you might like to investigate the built-in PRINTUI.EXE, which may enable you to reset the default printer.
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a similar problem with some users, and noticed that when it occurred, it always selected the last printer (alphabetically) in the list. Renaming the user's default printer with a high letter solved the problem.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You might want to look at your Group Policy,

Computer Configuration – Policies – Administrative Templates – Windows Components – Terminal Services – Terminal Server – Printer Redirection

The default desktop printer selection is usually forced upon a TS session by default. There are other factors but that is a common one to look out for.