shermozle

Which page numbering does Word use to print? (2000)

Word seems to change the behaviour of its Print function randomly. My documents tend to have a Section at the beginning which is numbered differently from the main Section. So that means that what is printed on the page as Page 13 is actually the 16th page or so.

When I go to print a specific page or range of pages, sometimes it uses the page number in the bottom-left corner of the screen and sometimes uses the page number printed on the page.

Which one does it use under which circumstances?

Thanks

Re: Which page numbering does Word use to print? (2000)

How do you insert your page numbers? What do you mean by the page number printed on the page? Is it in a header or footer?

Insert => Page Number... is so baaaaad that I have removed it from my menus and usually manually insert a page number field by typing "page," selecting it, pressing Ctrl-F9 and the F9, or if I'm feeling lazy, using the page number button on the header/footer toolbar.

The page numbering fields in Word are notoriously buggy, although they have been improved in Word 2000.

You may find the following of use (or at least amusing):
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Numbering/PageNumbering.htm> Page Numbering</A> by Bill Coan,
    or <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/PageXofY.htm> Page X of Y solutions
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with Charles on not using Insert/Page Number, mostly because it inserts the page number in a text box. It works better if you use the Insert Page Number button on the Header/Footer toolbar. However, that doesn't solve your printing problem. It has been our experience that if you are trying to print part of a multi-section document, your best bet is to type p#s# where the first # is the page number and the second # is the section number. Please note that the page number should be the page number relative to its section. So if page 10 of the entire document is page 7 of section 2, you should type in p7s2. If you want to print a range of pages, type in p#s#-p#s#, using the same thinking. Hope this helps.

Lee Morgan

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wow, that is slick! I've fought with that particular quirk since Word 95....

Arianna