New Lounger
    Thanks

LinkedIn Hack Results in >100 Phishing emails/day

Ever since LinkedIn's lax security allowed 6.5 MILLION email addresses and LinkedIn passwords to be broadcast last June I have been receiving over 100 Phishing emails per day, far more than I get via my legitimate email. When I do the CTRL-U key sequence to view the details of the emails in Thunderbird I can see that the emails come from all over the globe especially Russia, India, China, Kazakstan and Brazil. The emails contain chunks of web pages, chunks of articles, and email addresses linked to domains that do not seem to exist. A couple of times a week Avast anti-virus warns me that trojans, etc. are attached to the emails or links embedded in the emails.

I used to try to submit these to the anti-phishing sites but since the quantity keeps growing and the anti-phishing sites seem completely powerless to stop any of this. Is there any way out of this mess other than changing my email address? I've now got over 100 filters in Thunderbird filtering out all references to "lower rates", "Dr. Oz", "insurance" and "credit score" but I'm feeling like it's a losing battle.

What really burns me is that I had been trying to quit LinkedIn for months before the hack and they would not remove my account. Like the NRA and Facebook they keep claiming you as a member even after you die. Any suggestions? I still get emails from LinkedIn members wanting me to do something with them.

Thanks
    While I get a few of those, one this morning, what I have done is set up a filter putting Linkedin in the from field and then they get filtered into my spam folder.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

New Lounger
    Thanks

Not from LinkedIn

These emails have no reference to LinkedIn nor is LinkedIn in the From: field. They are From: every imaginable name and the Subjects: are also all different. They all started the day after LinkedIn got hacked June 9, 2012 I believe it was. LinkedIn said they were sorry for any inconvenience it caused it's users. I think anyone using ANY social network is going to suffer the same eventually.

Thanks
    About your only (temporary) way out is to change the email address which has been nobbled.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    I would suggest looking in the source option of the email and see if there is a reference to Linkedin in any of the fields and then use the filter to use that field to filter the messages.

By the way, what are you using for your email?
    Is your email online or do you use an off-line program like Thunderbird etc..

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, as I stated in the first message of this thread:

When I do the CTRL-U key sequence to view the details of the emails in Thunderbird I can see that the emails come from all over the globe and contain chunks of html from multiple seemingly unrelated pages. Maybe to confuse anti-phishing software?

The point being that once your trusted social network allows millions of valid email addresses and other sundry "personal" information about it's users to become public databases available to "the bad guys" we're going to become inundated with more marketing of all kinds than is possible to filter. Whomever stole these email addresses and associated passwords from LinkedIn reportedly gave away the lists of passwords to various hacking websites but perhaps sold the lists of valid email addresses to other parties. Who Knows? But just the way it is inevitable that hard drives will fail, isn't it pretty much just as inevitable that most (ALL?) online databases will be left open to attack by their flawed human keepers and be hacked and abused?

Thanks
    Usually when I check the source of an email message I can find one common word that I can use for the filter...

I stay away from social media and whenever I do sign up for things I use a throw away email address.