New Lounger
    Thanks

No splash screen

My splash screen disappeared a few weeks back after some action I had taken that was so trivial as to escape memory. By that I mean that I was not tinkering with Windows, registry, downloading apps or add-ins, installing software, etc. It was some very ordinary thing that I couldn't imagine could possibly have any relation to Windows operations. I mentioned it to a very savvy friend at the time, who simply suggested that I not worry about the splash screen as long as everything else was running well. I guess I could have tried a restore-point restoration at the time I discovered it; it didn't occur to me.

In the meantime, I have followed the three cures I have found on the web: two are command lines with which you're undoubtedly already familiar, the second to be used if the first didn't work; the third is a checkbox in the Boot tab of msconfig, the 'No GUI boot'. Mine was unchecked and remains so. Unfortunately, I still have no Windows boot screen, only black and then the accounts log-in.

Any other ideas? Thanks.

Thanks
    I suppose one of the attempts was the Command Prompt, sfc /scannow then press enter. This command can be used to fix system files. It is best run from the Repair Console by booting to the installation disk or repair disk and choosing Command Prompt.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks

Solved! And you may have a laugh on me.

In the course of trying to resolve the months’-old disappearance of the bios and Starting Windows screens, I continued a web search yesterday morning, after running special antivirus and anti-rootkit scans.

One MS site pointed to updating display drivers, and my Intel HD graphics evidently needed a very large update. I'm glad I found out, but unfortunately, this did not solve the problem, either.

In further searching I stumbled across a forum poster with the same issue who had solved it on her own. Details aside, she reconnected a different monitor to a different port, and voilà. That jogged my memory, that I have two monitor ports on my computer, one up top from the motherboard, and one on the video card. Dummy! At some point, I had, after disconnecting the computer, probably to replace a noisy case fan, inadvertently plugged the monitor into the upper port. I should have remembered, because when I had gotten the machine, I had had to cut some metal to provide adequate space on one side for the handle of the plug. In any case (no pun intended), voilà! And all is well once again.