2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

certificate and URL problems only with Win8

Since installing Win8 I have had lots of problems with certificates that do not happen on my non-Win8 computers. For example, when I logged on here just now, I got this:

s-static.ak.facebook.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is only valid for the following names:
    a248.e.akamai.net , *.akamaihd.net , *.akamaihd-staging.net

(Error code: ssl_error_bad_cert_domain)

When I have tried to find a solution, the usual one is that the date or clock is set incorrectly. That is not true on my computer. In a probably related anomaly, I often get URL not found for such locations as Yahoo and Facebook. These problems seem to happen, then later clear up, then return.

If I cannot connect with a site via Win8, I am able to run VirtualBox, then connect with no problems using a Linus OS and browser. I don't think the problem lies with my internet provider, since that should also affect my other computers and my virtual computers. So, what gives? This did not happen under Win7 and does not happen now with my Win7 computer or my Ubuntu computer.

Suggestions?
    Anyone else have this happen?

Thanks
    Have you tried running sfc /scannow?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Does this problem occur with all browsers?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    bb - I haven't tried sfc /scannow. I was not even aware of it, but will try it right away.

John - Yes, the problem shows up in all browsers. I use Firefox, Opera, Maxthon, and IE and have tried all of them with the same results. One thing that happens, as an example, is that I get an ad from Newegg every day. When I click on the ad, the odds are more that I will not connect to their site than that I will. But later in the day, the connection works. My mail from Newegg goes to gmail first, then is sent to my POP3 account. If I go to gmail (at the Google site) it still won't work.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran "sfc /scannow" and restarted the computer. So far, it appears to be working properly. The command prompt window reported that it found problems and repaired them.

bb - Thank you for this suggestion.

Thanks
    Glad it worked out.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The repair step seems to have helped in some ways, such as allowing my computer to reboot, when it would not do so before. Unfortunately, the failure to connect with some URLs and the certificate problem persist. They seem to be somewhat dependent on the time of day, with more problems in the morning than in the evening. This makes no sense to me.

I have used my Windows 7 machine to verify that I can connect to those sites with Windows 7. I also do not get certificate problems with the Win 7 machine and did not have either of these problems with my primary computer when it was running Win 7. The problem seems to be specific to Win 8. I also tested my Ubuntu computer with the same sites and have no problems.

If I run Virtual Box and Linux on my Win 8 machine, the virtual Linux machine has no problems with certificates or URLs.

Any other ideas to fix this?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't have a solution, and I'm not sure why it appears to be specific to Windows 8 on your computers. But it does seem to be a specific Akamai/Facebook issue which has plagued many thousands of users of all browsers on all platforms for at least three years: s-static.ak.facebook.com uses an invalid security certificate

Bruce