New Lounger
    Thanks

Word 97 doc Password Lost (92 SR-2)

I have a number of Word 97 documents from an employee who is no longer with the company which are password protected and no-one knows the password. I remember reading somewhere that it is possible to edit the documents in a hex editor and remove the password but I don't know where to find the password within the document. Alternately, if anyone knows where I can get some software that would do this, That woudl help as well.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Word 97 doc Password Lost (92 SR-2)

Are the documents heavily formatted, or would you be content with just retrieving the text contents?

If the latter, I've read (but never tried it out) that you can try opening the document as a Word 6.0/95 file, or alternatively try opening the file using WordPad or NotePad.

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes the documents are heavily formated but I will try your suggestion and see what happens

Star Lounger
    Thanks

This is a reply to a similar post on the microsoft.public.word.general newsgroup from Peter Boulding:

If the document is update-protected (ie you can view it without a password but can't edit) open a new document (preferably based on the same template) and use Insert->File to place the contents of the prtoected document into the new document. You can then delete the protected document and rename the new doc as the old.

If it's fully protected (can't view without the password) you'll need a commercial password cracker. You could try

www.lostpassword.com.

Good luck!

David Solomon