New Lounger
    Thanks

I like Windows 8, but . . . .

Background: I recently upgraded from W7 to W8 with no real hitches. I quite like the W8 interface and am prepared to persevere using it. It was also good to be able to select, from the W8 start page tiles, the W7 style desktop from where I still selected various programs, such as my Photoshop CS6 and my Internet Explorer 9 web page giving easy access to my MS Outlook email account. I used RoboForm for quick and easy logins on my W7 IE9 style start page which doesn't seem to open on the W8 IE10 start page, and I'm lost without this as it contains passwords for over fifty web addresses and their respective passwords.

Problem: I thought I had picked up a virus from an email sent by a friend (the mouse actions were haywire, causing spurious selections on my Outlook page). After a day of frustration, and running various anti-virus and anti-malware programs (which picked up no apparent problems), the spurious mouse problem persisted; I decided, like an idiot, to refresh Windows 8 which I thought would cure the problem. It did but, in the process, I've lost the ability to access a lot of my programs, including my Photoshop CS6 and other 'background stuff' such as my ASUS EPU Six Engine fan controller. When I try to open programs, (which are still in place) either they won't open because W8 doesn't recognize them, or I can't open them, because the icon on the W7 desktop has been removed by the refresh.

Solution?: I'm just an average computer user who doesn't have the benefit of experience to correct such problems. Should I uninstall W8 (and would I have to re-install W7 before doing this?), and then assuming this is possible, re-install W8. A system restore won't work as the refresh operation deleted the file history. I do have a previous W7 backup on an external hard drive though. Any ideas would be welcome from any of you guys. Thank you.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    A Windows refresh won't keep your desktop programs working as before. You need to reinstall them all over again.

In order to avoid this in the future, you can create custom refresh points and resorting to them can save you from having to reinstall desktop apps, in case you go the refresh route. To do this, you can use a tool such as RecImg.

I read about Windows 8 refresh not being completely effective, in some cases, so I still use a strategy from the XP days - create and maintain updated disk images, using 3rd party tools, such as Acronis True Image or Macrium Reflect or even Ease US Todo Backup. I have used Acronis True Image for many years now and I wouldn't do without it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

TiffRaw (2013-02-15)

Thanks
    The other option is to use a 3rd party Imaging app to create Images. I create new Images after each patch Tuesday so my Images are up to date. There is a lot of information in the Maintenance forum discussing Imaging and the various apps our members use to accomplish this important chore.

Could your original problem be a mouse that needs a new battery? I know mine starts acting flaky just before the battery needs replacement.

As Rui states the Refresh procedure will keep app store apps and some settings, but will not keep the desktop apps you have installed. It should provide a list of the apps that will have to be reinstalled. From the linked article:

Warning

The apps that came with your PC or you installed from Windows Store will be reinstalled, but any apps you installed from other websites and DVDs will be removed. Windows puts a list of the removed apps on your desktop after refreshing your PC.
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-02-15 at 12:51.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

TiffRaw (2013-02-15)

Thanks
    Solution?: I'm just an average computer user who doesn't have the benefit of experience to correct such problems. Should I uninstall W8 (and would I have to re-install W7 before doing this?), and then assuming this is possible, re-install W8. A system restore won't work as the refresh operation deleted the file history. I do have a previous W7 backup on an external hard drive though. Any ideas would be welcome from any of you guys. Thank you.
    Reinstall the software that was removed by the refresh. Once your back to your operating baseline make an image based backup.
    The importance of data backup and imaging can't be stressed enough.

I can't say for certain what your mouse issue is, aside from what Ted mentions, but I have seen brief erratic mouse behavior
    in conjunction with some nefarious websites. No malware or other malicious and lasting activity was detected in the instances, in my experience.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.