2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Toolbar button - add text

(Word 2003)

Hi -

Can't remember how to add text to a toolbar button: specifically, Hide/Show. I want to add the assigned keys Control +0 to the button.

Thank

Thanks
    mipendance,

Right-click on any toolbar, then click Customize at the bottom of the menu. Right-click on the Hide/Show button to display the context menu. Then change the label to whatever you want. You might also need to tell the button to display text (also on that context menu).

But... do you really want to reassign the Show/Hide button to the Ctrl+0 function? Why not just add another button to the toolbar to toggle the white space?

Just curious. It's your toolbar, after all.

Kim

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Kim -
    Thanks for your reply.

What I want to do is have my assigned shortcut key appear when I press the Show/Hide button-- like when you hit File in Word, next to Save is Ctrl + S. Can this only be done with Menus rather than the individual button which I dragged to the toolbar?

When you suggest adding another button to toggle, do you mean create a macro?

Thank you.

Thanks
    I think I'm still confused about what you've done/want to do, so let's not consider a macro yet.

What I think you're saying is that you've assigned a different shortcut key to the Show/Hide button than the built-in shortcut? And that shortcut is Ctrl+0? You still want Show/Hide to be the function, but you want to be able to toggle show/hide by pressing Ctrl+0? And you want this shortcut to appear when you hover your mouse over the button?

I got lost when you said you wanted it to appear on a button you dragged onto the toolbar.

However, this is what I know, based on my above assumptions. When you assigned Ctrl+0 to Show/Hide, did you remove the built-in assignment Ctrl+*? Because if you did, your new shortcut assignment should automatically appear next to the button.

keystroke.png
    Is this what you want? If not, help me understand a little better and we'll take another crack at it.

Kim

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, Kim, you understand me 100% correctly. Yes, your .png is what I want. Yes, I deleted the Ctrl+* because it didn't work and Ctrl+0 works for me.

Thank you for your time.

Mipen

Thanks
    Hi Mipen,

I'm so glad this worked, but I have one last thought. You said that Ctrl+* didn't work.

Were you pressing Ctrl+8 (the number key with the asterisk above it) or were you pressing Crtl+Shift+8?

Microsoft thinks that pressing the shift key in this keystroke combination is self-evident -- it's the only way to achieve the asterisk.

The Ctrl+8 combo is not mapped to anything by default, and nothing will happen if you use it.

And that brings me back to the Ctrl+0 keystroke combo -- by default this is mapped to a built-in command that adds and removes white space above a paragraph. If you don't use it, then there's no harm done. But it's always good to know what the consequences are.

FYI, if you ever want to go back to the defaults, you can reset them all on the same dialog where you made the your custom assignments.

Best,
    Kim

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, again -

I did (finally) figure out I needed to use the Shift key, but I do prefer the 2-press combo.

BUT, I still don't have that combo showing on the toolbar button. I think I will give up on that quest.

Kim, thanks again for your time and encouragement.

Mipen