Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 shutdown problem

Hi to all,

My Dell X8500 Windows 8 Pro 64bit computer will not shut down or Restart without a forced shutdown. I just get a Restarting blue screen and the circle of dots indicating it is trying to shut down, but nothing happens. I have left it for a half hour or more but still it will not shut down.

I went out on the internet and posters have suggested everything from turning off “Turn on fast startup (recommended)” to running “bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes” at the command prompt. Nothing has worked.

It was also suggested to run “PowerCFG.exe /energy” and It notified me of – 21 Errors, 3 Warnings & 23 Informational problems and told me to see C:\windows\system32\energy-report.html for more details but I can’t find any such document or file on my computer C: drive.
    I am not sure where I can find this information or how to correct all of the problems.

Can anyone suggest a solution to putting my computer back to working normally short of reinstalling Windows 8? I am sure that my need to hit the start button each time I want to shut the computer down is not doing any good and probably adding more to the list of problems. Respectfully, Graphics Guy

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Is this the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade from Microsoft? And if so, did you do an upgrade, or a clean install?
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Look in the event viewer for any error or critical warnings that may be related. Also, you can view the shutdown logs by following the directions given here:
    http://itexpertvoice.com/home/what%e...s-7/#more-2490

The directions are for viewing the strat up logs but the shutdown logs are in the same place.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

Thanks for the speedy response.
    The computer was purchased in early December and had Windows 7 installed. I took advantage of the reduced price upgrade offered and downloaded the Windows 8 program as well as the Windows Media Center install key. I wasn’t really ready to jump into the new OS but I was then forced to install the Windows 8 upgrade prior to the 31 January deadline. It worked for a few days and then it was a complete disaster and wouldn't even boot up so I removed everything from the harddrive and did a complete install of Windows 8 Pro, then WMC. There shouldn’t be any remnants of Windows 7 still on the computer. I installed all of the Windows 8 updates and shortly after that the problems began. Respectfully, Graphics Guy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Jerry,

Thank you for responding.
    I tried your URL and looked at the message but not being that computer savvy it was over my head and all gobbledy-gook to me.
    Thanks for trying. Respectfully, Graphics Guy

Thanks
    Open an elevated command prompt and run sfc /scannow.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Prior to upgrading from Windows 7, did you check the Dell site for updated Windows 8 drivers and possibly a BIOS update specific to Windows 8?
    Did you also run the Upgrade advisor prior to installing Windows 8 and were there any issues or functions that it flagged.

Also look in the event viewer and reliability monitor, as Jerry suggests too.
    If you find things you don't understand in there, try running a Google search, and post back here with specific errors.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi and thank you for the response.
    I performed a Scannow and the results were negative.
    I tried to attach a small jpeg photo of the results by clicking on Browse, going to where the image was on the desktop and selecting upload file, but it won't accept it so I must be doing something wrong.
    Respectfully, Graphics Guy

Thanks
    See this thread on how to upload photos and files to the post.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Clint,

I ran the Upgrade advisor when I still had Windows 7 on the computer prior to upgrading to Windows 8. Everything checked out OK. I don't remember if I went to the DELL site prior to the upgrade. If it was part of the installation instructions, then I did. If it wasn't mentioned in the installation instructions then I probably didn't. Being computer challenged I did try to follow the instructions to the letter so I didn't foul things up. I DID go to DELL after I installed Windows 8 and downloaded several files and also went to AMD, my Graphics Card HD7570 site and downloaded upgrades for my card so it worked correctly with Photoshop.
    As for the Event viewer, I didn't understand most of what I found there. There was something about USB 3.0 not working correctly but as I have said before, most of it is over my head. Respectfully, Graphics Guy

Thanks
    Disable Fast boot, or rapid boot. It will be active in windows 8 by default.

Try the reliability monitor, it will be located in the control panel under Action Center.
    Once in action center, expand maintenance and click on "review reliability history".
    Action Center RH.jpg
    See if you can locate your shut down issue in there, look for corresponding date/time for the occurrences.
    The same thing can be done in event viewer, your looking for specific dates/times for these shut down issues.

If you are having difficulty with too many entries in event viewer to sift through, delete them with this batch script. Then attempt to replicate the shut down problem.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Windows 8.1, 64 bit

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Graphics Guy (2013-02-17)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Clint,

Thank you for the reply.
    Sunday's are busy days for me but I will try to follow your instructions this week.
    Thanks again, Respectfully, Graphics Guy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi to all,

Many, many thanks to all that responded to my question.
    Just to bring everyone up to date - after much frustration, I chickened out and I refreshed/repaired my Windows 8 program.
    I have been closely monitoring the program the last 2 days as I re-install each program, i.e.... Quicken 2013, Photoshop CS6, MS Office 2003 etc... and Restarted after and set a Restore point before each one. So far everything is been working normally and there hasn't been any problems.
    Thanks again. Respectfully, Graphics Guy

Thanks
    Look into getting yourself setup with a regimented hard drive/disk imaging application.
    There are plenty of good choices out there of either free or paid solutions.

Don't rely on System Restore, or any other flaky solution of similar designs.
    CLiNT
    DRIVE IMAGING

Windows 8.1, 64 bit

Thanks

Cool

I'm one of those...... who ran all the Beta Test versions of Win-8, from Jan 2012.
    One thing that always stood out was the difficulty with "Shutdown".
    Some even reported that W8 never really shuts down, but just does some version of sleep or Hibernation.

When I shut down my computer, I want it OFF, COLD, DEAD and all files closed.

So I and other Beta Testers, like Medico, incorporated the Quick Shutdown shortcut into our Desktops. I've been using one since the Windows 98 days.
    Here's that shortcut. It works!

%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 0

Copy and paste that line into a New Shortcut on your desktop and then use that shortcut to shut down your PC with Windows 8 on it.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2013-02-21 at 07:37.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast