5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A Cautionary Tale

One cloud, OfficeDrop, has bit the dust and users didn’t get their data back. That particular cloud was used with PaperPort Everywhere, a ‘feature’ of PaperPort.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    DB,

That's why IMHO cloud storage should NOT be used for backup purposes or as the only place for essential data! It's great for copies used for access anywhere though.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The default destination for every file you create in Office 2013 is Skydrive, and by default that is is the only destination. You have to change the default if you want your file(s) anywhere else.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If you use "Save As" you can choose where to store any document.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That is on a file-by-file basis. If you do that, the default remains SkyDrive.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dogberry View Post
    That is on a file-by-file basis. If you do that, the default remains SkyDrive.
    By default you mean a screen where you are offered SkyDrive, your computer and the possibility to add other places to store the file? How is SkyDrive the only option?

1. SkyDrive shows up first in the list of possible places to store a new document, but your computer is a click away, right below it.
    2. Save and Save As work the same way on a new document.
    3. Go to File -> Options -> Save and click Save to Computer by default and there you have it, now in the same list as before, computer is highlighted instead of SkyDrive.

What's more, according to some quick experimenting, if you click the option to not show the BackStage, your computer automatically gets to be the default storage location, regardless of any other setting and you immediately get the usual File Save dialog, as in previous Office versions.

I fail to see the point of your insistence in this. Office 2013 offers more choice regarding storage places, not less. Integration with SkyDrive is a plus, IMO, not a negative, as you seem to indicate. Also, you are offered a set of options that easily allows you to customize the behavior of Office to suit your preferred way of working. From a strict UI design point of view, IMHO, this is as good as it gets, as you are offered not only a set of default options, but those options are customizable with no effort at all.

As to the cautionary tone of your warning, may I ask what is Paperport? Yes, you should be careful about who you choose as a Cloud provider, if you choose one, but I suppose that applies to just about every company you buy something from and you expect to need support through the life cycle of your purchased goods. Size does matter in some areas and I think cloud storage is one of those.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    DB,

That's why IMHO cloud storage should NOT be used for backup purposes or as the only place for essential data! It's great for copies used for access anywhere though.
    This applies to every backup strategy you use, RG. Not only should the cloud not be the only place, but you should not use a single external disk or s single set of DVDs or whatever means you use, if you want to ensure you won't lose your data to a hardware failure.

Thanks
    I think his point Rui is that many people don't think and just hit return when saving files which then go to the default Skydrive location. I have a few clients that do that.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    I think his point Rui is that many people don't think and just hit return when saving files which then go to the default Skydrive location. I have a few clients that do that.

Jerry
    I hear you, Jerry, but I guess we cannot excuse a user for not thinking .

Have such users used SkyDrive before? If not, they will be safe, as they won't be offered a Skydrive storage option without being asked for, at least, login details to their SkyDrive account.

I understand novelty may be seen as nuisance, in some cases, and my view may be partial, as I am using the cloud more and more, but technology evolves and the cloud, even for regular users, can be used as a way to avoid data losses people incur when something happens to their computers.
    Maybe that may require more training, but the fact is that every big player in the mass market software industry (Microsoft, Google, Apple) is offering some form of cloud integration. Even for those users who do not want or do not need to use the cloud, they probably need to be aware of it.
    I suppose that what is said about the cloud today is similar to what was said about the internet 5-8 years ago?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    By default you mean a screen where you are offered SkyDrive, your computer and the possibility to add other places to store the file? How is SkyDrive the only option?

1. SkyDrive shows up first in the list of possible places to store a new document, but your computer is a click away, right below it.
    2. Save and Save As work the same way on a new document.
    3. Go to File -> Options -> Save and click Save to Computer by default and there you have it, now in the same list as before, computer is highlighted instead of SkyDrive.

What's more, according to some quick experimenting, if you click the option to not show the BackStage, your computer automatically gets to be the default storage location, regardless of any other setting and you immediately get the usual File Save dialog, as in previous Office versions.

I fail to see the point of your insistence in this. Office 2013 offers more choice regarding storage places, not less. Integration with SkyDrive is a plus, IMO, not a negative, as you seem to indicate. Also, you are offered a set of options that easily allows you to customize the behavior of Office to suit your preferred way of working. From a strict UI design point of view, IMHO, this is as good as it gets, as you are offered not only a set of default options, but those options are customizable with no effort at all.

As to the cautionary tone of your warning, may I ask what is Paperport? Yes, you should be careful about who you choose as a Cloud provider, if you choose one, but I suppose that applies to just about every company you buy something from and you expect to need support through the life cycle of your purchased goods. Size does matter in some areas and I think cloud storage is one of those.
    We are in complete agreement, aside from the distinction between saving files without changing the default, and the crucial matter of changing the default, which you explain how to do in your point 3. In my view that should be the first thing a user should do.
    PaperPort is just another piece of software that included a ‘free’ cloud service that the unwary could end up shipping all their data to before they realized they had done it. Free cloud services are common: ‘Asus WebStorage’ is a free service that comes bundled with the Asus computer on which I am writing this.

What set off every alarm on my Homer Simpson Control Panel was Microsoft’s legal boilerplate, which appears to tell me that if my data on SkyDrive falls into the wrong hands my only recourse is to Small Claims Court. I give up the right to litigate (or participate in as a party or class member) all disputes in court before a judge or jury, and that any proceedings to resolve or litigate any dispute in any forum will be conducted solely on an individual basis. Neither [you] nor Microsoft will seek to have any dispute heard as a class action or in any other proceeding in which either party acts or proposes to act in a representative capacity.

How many multibillion-dollar projects and major inventions and artworks does Microsoft hope to have saved to SkyDrive when there is no remedy for loss? I can write a joke that is worth more than I can recover in Small Claims Court if Microsoft decides to publish it for profit first. Microsoft has been sued more than once for patent violations. Which of my Stacker T-shirts should I wear today?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dogberry For This Useful Post:

ruirib (2013-02-17)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogberry View Post
    We are in complete agreement, aside from the distinction between saving files without changing the default, and the crucial matter of changing the default, which you explain how to do in your point 3. In my view that should be the first thing a user should do.
    PaperPort is just another piece of software that included a ‘free’ cloud service that the unwary could end up shipping all their data to before they realized they had done it. Free cloud services are common: ‘Asus WebStorage’ is a free service that comes bundled with the Asus computer on which I am writing this.

What set off every alarm on my Homer Simpson Control Panel was Microsoft’s legal boilerplate, which appears to tell me that if my data on SkyDrive falls into the wrong hands my only recourse is to Small Claims Court. I give up the right to litigate (or participate in as a party or class member) all disputes in court before a judge or jury, and that any proceedings to resolve or litigate any dispute in any forum will be conducted solely on an individual basis. Neither [you] nor Microsoft will seek to have any dispute heard as a class action or in any other proceeding in which either party acts or proposes to act in a representative capacity.

How many multibillion-dollar projects and major inventions and artworks does Microsoft hope to have saved to SkyDrive when there is no remedy for loss? I can write a joke that is worth more than I can recover in Small Claims Court if Microsoft decides to publish it for profit first. Microsoft has been sued more than once for patent violations. Which of my Stacker T-shirts should I wear today?
    I think you raise some valid points there. While I don't think they will use your content (patent violations are not really the equivalent of industrial espionage), I would worry about the lack of no loss remedies. I think the key to that is not to use SKyDrive (or any other provider), as your only means of backup of the data that is important to you.

I would also add that the use of the SkyDrive app will copy your SkyDrive documents to your drive (and multiple computers if you have those), so that is actually a way to have an automatic backup of your own cloud documents (although it won't work with all document types).

About the cloud services, well, I think your post does well by calling member's attention to the fact that not all cloud providers are equal and that is worth having been said. Thanks for that.