Star Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2010 vs. 2013

I am faced with buying a new laptop because my present one is overloaded (only a miniscule 40gB hard drive, of which 33 gB is gobbled up by Windows and other software!) and getting very slow. I am currently running Windows XP and Office 2003 and so will need to not only buy a new laptop running Windows 8 but also a new version of Office. My question is whether it is worth spending nearly $400 on Office 2013 (more than for the laptop!!) or buying Office 2010 and saving around $250. From what I know about the two versions (not much, admittedly), it seems like 2013 is built for tablets and touch-screen computers, which I will not be using. All opinions would be welcomed. Thanks for your help.

DonH

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    If this is for personal use check out Office 365 Home Premium.

Which Office suite are you considering purchasing?

What laptop are considering purchasing?

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Amercolet (2013-05-10)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Would this be of any importance to your decision?

"Office 2013 retail licensing change ties suite to specific PC forever"

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I need Access so I will be purchasing Office Pro (Premium). Office 365 is out--$100/year--no way!

I haven't definitely decided on a laptop, but am leaning towards Toshiba which has been highly recommended to me. It will be my main machine as is my present one (Dell Inspiron 6000 which has served me very well), so it must have all the usual features--CD/DVD R/W, microcard reader slot, lots of HD space, 2 or 4 gB RAM, etc. I don't use a numeric keypad, so a 14.5-15" size is fine (I have a 19" monitor). Any suggestions?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Absolutely! Thanks for pointing this out. It pretty much seals the decision to go with 2010. I'm not interested in paying for another copy if my machine dies!

Don.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Yet, another advantage of Office 365 Home Premium. You can have it on up to five machines. If you need to remove one of the machines and add a new one it is easy to do. Plus, you can have a temporary install if you are on a PC that does not have Office 2013 and need it.

BTW, Office 2013 Pro is $399.99. The equivalent to 4 years of Office 2013.

If you are convinced about Office 2010 go for it. It is a good product.

Joe

Thanks

Thanks
    I'm not sure why this question didn't occur to me sooner: Since I own Office 2010 already, will I be able to "subscribe" to Office 2013 "by the month", so that if I don't like it I can always go back to 2010 -- AND, will all my documents etc. be backwardly compatible as well?

And, this is assuming that the subscription will be monthly [?] and can be discontinued when so desired?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Administrator
    Thanks
    You may subscribe to Office 365 on a monthly basis regardless of the Office version you currently own. You may discontinue your subscription any time. See Office Frequently Asked Questions. There is a section called "Buying Office" which has more details.

Your documents will be compatible. If any contain new Office 2013 features those features will not work in Office 2010.

Joe

Thanks
    I guess, from my perspective, and how I use Office 2010, I can see no reason for me to change. If I were to purchase new PCs, I should be able to remove my Office from the old PCs and install it on the new PCs easily enough. I suppose I might have to call MS for activation help, but that's not a big issue.

I just do not see enough of a difference between Office 2010 and Office 2013 or Office 365 to warrant the change. We are perfectly happy with Office 2010 and as Joe says, Office 2010 is a fine product.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    If you use, or plan to use, PowerPivot and are not a volume licence customer, stick with 2010.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Administrator
    Thanks
    Here's a blog post that explains the Office licensing for retail versions - Office 2013 and Office 365 installations and transferability.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If I were to purchase Office 2013 at full price and could not switch it from one PC to another (other than a PC replaced under warranty)...I would be really ticked. As I get Office 2013 for $9.95 through work volume licensing agreements...maybe I'll purchase another one or two and just keep them "hanging around". I'll need one for the wife's PC anyway (I'm in the middle of moving house currently and her PC is in storage...so I could just keep another 1 or 2 license keys for when we move into the new home, I suppose).

Administrator
    Thanks
    It is obvious from the pricing and licensing that Microsoft is trying to get people to buy a subscription.

Joe