Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

How to install old scanner on Win7 machine?

I have my old/dependable HP Precisionscan, is there a work around to install it in win 7 64bit ??

HP doesn't show any drivers for same.

Thanks
    Scanners are in the same category as printers it seems, especially those made by HP. In the past HP has been somewhat notorious for not supporting their H/W when a new OS arrives. I suspect, unless you use a VM or perhaps XP Mode (You would need Win 7 Pro or Ultimate for this) you might be out of luck.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Thx superM;
    I've heard about XP mode in win7, if I was to try ----- whats a scenario to install.??

Thanks
    See if this MS article will answer your questions. I personally have never used XP Mode.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    If you're willing to spend $40, Vue Scan will support your scanner in Windows 7. http://www.hamrick.com/

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    If you're willing to spend $40, Vue Scan will support your scanner in Windows 7. http://www.hamrick.com/

Jerry
    I think Vue Scan still needs an HP driver, Jerry.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I think Vue Scan still needs an HP driver, Jerry.
    You can download a trial version before you buy to see if it works. I know It has solved the no driver problem for many scanners. I haven't used it myself so I don't know if it uses its own drivers or the XP drivers.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    You can download a trial version before you buy to see if it works. I know It has solved the no driver problem for many scanners. I haven't used it myself so I don't know if it uses its own drivers or the XP drivers.

Jerry
    If you check the list of supported scanners and click on the HP ones, you will see that it states it needs the HP driver. I agree, though, you can always download the trial version to be completely sure .

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Jagworld,

I have no direct experience with HP scanners, however when I went from XP-> Win7 I really did not want to give up on my Epson Perfection 1200U scanner. I eventually found reference to a work-around. It used a driver for a newer supported scanner(the EPSON Perfection 4990 driver in my case).

Maybe you can find another HP driver that Win7 likes that _will_ work for your scanner.
    The method was basically;
    -go get the newer driver (get 32 or 64-bit as required for your OS)
    -unzip it to a handy directory, but don't install with the setup file
    -go to device manager
    -plug the scanner into the PC, turn it on and wait for it to show up in “Other devices”.
    -when the scanner shows up, right click->properties, hardware tab->properties, change settings, driver tab-> update driver, "Browse my computer for driver software", "let me pick from a list of device drivers", “Imaging devices”, "Have Disk", browse to the directory where you unzipped the files
    -ignore the warning that windows cannot verify the driver for your hardware
    -the scanner identification in windows is incorrect, but all features do work.

It may take some playing around to find a compatible driver that is also supported in Win7, but it all depends how much time you want to spend trying to get it to work.

Good Luck!
    brino
    Last edited by brino; 2013-02-17 at 21:59. Reason: clarification

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You could also look for Vista drivers as these often work fine in win 7.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagworld View Post
    I have my old/dependable HP Precisionscan, is there a work around to install it in win 7 64bit ??

HP doesn't show any drivers for same.
    HP PrecisionScan is software. Apparently, Win7 will probably support your scanner (hardware) with its generic scanner drivers just fine. If you want to take advantage of the features built into the HP PrecisionScan software that are missing in the generic Win software, you will need a driver for the scanner hardware.

I have an HP 7400C scanner; HP does not have 64-bit drivers for it. BUT, after a lot of digging (starting at the HP site) I was pointed to a 64-bit driver for my scanner (I named it
    HP7360-PhotoSmart-Driver+_Win7x64_SF_CDA_NonNet_Full_Win_WW_130_140. exe; the original name started with "SF_CDA_").

Just how old is your scanner? I seem to remember seeing drivers for 5400 model scanners... I'm not sure about earlier models. It takes a lot of digging, but you may find what you need if you persevere.
    Last edited by rodsmine; 2013-02-22 at 01:40.

Lounger
    Thanks
    This is an interesting thread. I have an HP 5200C, anybody found a drive that works with this scanner and Win x64? It does work fine in XP mode.

Thanks
    Try using Irfanview, Adobe, or some other imaging software, to "acquire" the image. My HP scanner will work with Irfanview, Adobe, or with the HP software.

HP is twain compliant, so I would specify that it is a twain scanner. That should satisfy the driver requirement.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-02-25 at 16:08.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I also use Vuescan for all my scanning needs. From my experiance it does not need drives for the scanners it has it's own. I use it for my Epson Perfection 2450 Photo, Nikon 4000 and my HP scanjet 5400c. All of them work fine and the features of Vuescan exceed what I use to get with the manufactures software.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There's a trial (watermarked) version of VueScan @ MajorGeeks.com; I had considered using it for my Epson Precision 1200U (see above), but newer scanners & all-in-ones have better resolution at low prices, so I didn't bother. Might try again with the driver listed above, though.

Zig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast