4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Odd occurrence with missing files

When my old computer failed (processor or MB failure, not the hard drive), I purchased my new Win 7 machine. Using a docking station that allowed me to access my old HD via USB, I was able to recover any of my old files that I wanted to keep.

I re-installed Microsoft Office 2003 from the installation disk, then I copied my saved word files from my old hard drive into a folder on my new hard drive, and pointed Microsoft Word to that folder for opening or saving my word documents. All worked well.

But I recently tried to open one of my saved files, and was greeted with an empty folder where I thought I had saved my old files. So I connected my old hard drive again, selected all my old word files, and attempted to copy them from my old drive to my new one (again).
    A popup dialog immediately appeared telling me that the file already existed in the folder I was copying to, and did I want to overwrite it. I said no and cancelled out of the copying process.

Sure enough, when I opened the folder on my new drive, all the files had suddenly re-appeared.
    Well, clearly those files were there all the time, but were not visible or accessible. My question is, why did the folder initially show as empty, why did they suddenly re-appear when I (unknowingly) tried to copy over them, and how can I prevent this from happening again?

Thanks
    Hi LesF,

if you had made new folders with the same name as the other folders you were trying to copy onto the new pc by opening them and just copying the contents.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Roderunner, thanks for replying.

I'm not sure that I understand your answer. Are you saying that if I'm just trying to copy the contents of a folder (not the folder itself) from my old hard drive to a folder of the same name on my new hard drive (which is, in fact, what I was trying to do), that would cause the problem? I don't understand that, or why the problem fixed itself when I attempted to copy the files a second time. If I interpreted your answer incorrectly, please clarify.

Thanks
    I didn't fully understand my reply either, so here goes again. You can only move / copy folders you make yourself, which is why I said to just copy the contents to folders with the same name.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info. In fact, both folders were folders that I created, and the name of each folder was Word_Files, which as far as I can tell is a unique name. I did indeed copy only the contents between these folders.
    As the problem has not recurred since I posted, I'll assume that I screwed up initially when I (thought I had) copied the files. I'll chalk this up to user error.

Thanks
    I'll chalk this up to user error.
    Welcome to the club.

Cheers.gif