Thread: Freeze-ups

New Lounger
    Thanks

Freeze-ups

I wonder if you might have any ideas on a problem I am having with my Windows NT 4.0 workstation.
    On certain web sites my PC freezes up (no keyboard, no mouse, nothing). The two most recent sites are
    www.itickets.com/tours/37.html and www.hyperlites.com . I tried applying SP2 to me IE 5.5, that didn't do it. Then I tried upgrading to IE 6, no good. I tried re-applying SP 6a 128 bit, still no good. It happens whether I am dialed in on my modem or when I go out through our LAN.
    Do you have any suggestions?

3 Star Lounger
    Sydney, Australia, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Freeze-ups

There doesn't look like there's anything particularly abnormal about those sites; no java, no active X, no flash or other embedded objects. So it seems like a pretty deep seated IE problem. I'd expect that the problem shows up at many different sites, or even the same site at different times.
    I don't like your chances, but I'd uninstall IE completely and try reinstalling it.
    I'm also wondering if it's an NT/IE recent version problem. Have you got an old version of IE, like 4.0 that you could try?

New Lounger
    Thanks

You are exactly right as to when this problem happens, many sites-same time on some sites, different times on others. Before upgrading to IE 6 I uninstalled IE 5.5 and re-installed it with no luck. I guess I need to figure out how to completely uninstall IE (registry entries, etc.). It seemed as if when I uninstalled and re-installed IE 5.5, it had retained some settings, so it did not automatically completely uninstall.

3 Star Lounger
    Sydney, Australia, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks

I've never had any luck completely uninstalling IE - it's just too close to the OS (tell that to the DoJ).
    I'd be looking at doing a backup of all your data, wipe the disk clean and reinstall everything. Yuk. I do that every year (spring cleaning) anyway to remove all the garbage that inevitably accumulates.