New Lounger
    Thanks

RAM Upgrade Question

Have a Dell Inspiron 1545 notebook. It's a few years old, was my son's, I'm using it now because I'm too cheap to buy a new one and he isn't. LOL.

Anyway, it runs fairly good but at times I come close to maxing out the 3GB of RAM so I want to upgrade the RAM.

Current specs:
    CPU: Pentium(R) Dual-Core, T4300 @ 2.10GHz, 2100 Mhz
    Current Ram: PC2-6400, 200-pin SODIMM, 1GB and 2GB, 400MHz
    Win 7 Home Premium x64

I'm fully aware that matching the sticks is recommended but finances are tight. I want to increase to 6GB. I think 8GB is overkill for my use, 4GB not enough. I'd like to keep the 2GB stick and add a 4GB.

So my question is, will I get full use of 6GB as long as I get a 4GB PC2-6400? Or do I need to match the sizes and be forced to go with 8GB (4+4)

Thanks!

Ken

Thanks
    It's always recommended to use matching DIMMs, but I've seen quite a few mismatches run just fine. You're running 'unbalanced' right now. I would go ahead and replace the 1GB PC2-6400 with a 4GB PC2-6400 and see how it is. If you have difficulties, you'll be already halfway to 8GB with matching DIMMs, anyway.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-02-17 at 16:20. Reason: spelling
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    6GB will work fine, so no need to go to 8GB. I believe the only advantage to using a matched pair may be a marginal/negligible speed difference.

Do a factory restore to make sure your son didn't let in any bugs while he had it, and you should be able to get several more years out of that machine. That's not being "too cheap", that's being practical.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for both replies!

I've scrubbed the machine well and am comfy that it's lean and clean.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Ken,

Before you buy anything make sure you check w/Dell to make sure you can put that much RAM in the machine. Many of Dell's machines are limited in the amount of Ram they can use, usually based on line. Thus the Insprion line tends to be limited to less Ram that the XPS line. That's how they sell the higher priced versions, people who want more Ram have to get a higher end machine.
    You can also use the Crucial Memory Scanner to scan your machine it will usually tell you if there are limits. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    You may be limited to only 4GB of RAM on that system. Like Bruce says, you'd better check beforehand.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    A Dell Inspiron 1545 can support 8GB RAM according to Crucial.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Not all 1545 models support over 4GB of RAM. The OP had better confirm beforehand.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.