New Lounger
    Thanks

JPG file downloads vary

I have a perplexing issue with downloading jpeg files. I can have two different but same size jpeg files, i.e. 80kb. When one of these files is viewed in Firefox, it fills the entire browser window. When I open the second jpeg file, it opens to a small rectangle. I cannot figure out what was done to the second jpeg file to make it so small while similar sized jpeg files open to the full browser window. And this has nothing to do the "magnification" effect when clicking on a jpeg file in a browser window.

I am mostly using Firefox 18.0.2 but this occurs on all browsers I tested (Palemoon, Chrome, Safari, IE). My computer is running Win XP SP3.

Thanks!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Compression ratios can vary a lot with Jpegs since it is a lossy format which will allow same disk size images to have very different display sizes. There is even a lossless format of the jpeg which would make it very much like a bmp image I suspect. Without seeing the particulars of the images I can't tell for sure but it sounds normal as long as the difference isn't unreasonably huge. 80kb is small in either case. A full screen jpeg image at only 80kb will probably not look to sharp and have lots of artifacts.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Using a program such as Irfanview will let you see the Image/Information which will show you the actual number of pixels (W x H) in each jpg. This may give you a clue about why they appear so different onscreen. Irfanview will also let you change the number of pixels to any value you want, to make them both appear the same size.

Thanks
    I assume the two JPGs have different dimensions, that's usually why they display at different sizes visually. You can check this in the browser by right-clicking on each JPG and choosing Properties. You'll see the width and height, eg 100x100 [visually very small] or 600x400 [visually mid-size].

As cosmlou said, IrfanView or similar will allow you to change the downloaded files, if you wish.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    cosmlou already mentioned the "number of pixels". Resolution is the terminus technicus. If quality does't play the most important role, the resolution and file dimensions can be changed in any reasonable graphics software like Photoshop (Elements), GIMP, Paintshop Pro etc. To downsize is the better method. However, if you need to upscale and want satisfying results, special software like Ben Vista's "Photo Zoom Pro" is recommended. They offer a free trial version.