Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problem with network sharing, Win 7 and XP

I have 2 computers on a home network. My desktop computer is running Win 7 Pro, and it's hardwired to my router. My laptop computer is running XP Pro, and is connected wirelessly.

I created a folder on the Desktop of my desktop computer, named Desktop Share, and set the folder and associated permissions to allow sharing. I then went to my laptop and added the Desktop Share folder to My Network Places, with a shortcut to it on my laptop Desktop. Now I can share files between computers. I set the Desktop Share folder permissions to allow only read permissions from my laptop, to prevent accidentally deleting any files I put into it from my desktop computer.

Now, I would like to do the same thing in reverse, i.e. create a shared folder on my laptop that I can access over the network from my desktop computer. So I set up this folder on my laptop, with appropriate sharing permissions. Now, on my Win 7 desktop, I would like to navigate to the folder (equivalent to using My Network Places in XP to navigate to the shared folder on my desktop). In Win 7, I click on Start/Network, and I see both computers (as well as my wireless printer, of course). But when I double-click on my laptop computer (so that I can navigate to its shared folder), I get a logon failure dialog requesting a network user name and password (see attached picture). I didn't need a password to access the network from my laptop, and I don't know why I should need one to access the desktop on the same network.
    When I set up Win 7, I created a Home Network that was assigned a password (which I didn't really want to do). I tried using my Win 7 user name and that password, but it didn't work. I prefer to have no password on either computer to use my home network (named WORKGROUP on both computers).

I'm confused about what to do here, and could use some help, please.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    First, HomeGroup is only for Win 7 or Win 8 PCs. You can indeed use Workgroup in Win 7. Fred Langa had an article a while back on how to set this up.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Medico, thank you for this reply. I had actually already changed the network name to WORKGROUP on both computers, but Fred's article (which I've only just skimmed so far) seems to offer suggestions for eliminating HOMEGROUP, and suggests other changes that I will implement. Thanks for pointing me to it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    For trouble free sharing, you'd better use the same account (username and password) on both computers. You can then use something like AutoLogon to have automatic login in both computers, so you won't even notice you are using passwords.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib, I don't have ANY passwords on my XP computer, and I'd like to get rid of HOMEGROUP on my Win 7 computer (perhaps Fred's article will help with that), which should then eliminate the password that was automatically assigned (against my wishes) when I set up Win 7. Neither computer has a password set up when I boot, as I'm the only one that uses them, and I'm an administrator on both. That's why I didn't know what to use when I attempted to set up folder sharing and was asked for a password.
    By the way, I always disable Windows Firewall on both computers - just too many confusing layers of protection, considering that my router provides a firewall and I have a full-time antivirus program active. I found that the Windows Firewall interfered with the folder sharing.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I know you do that, but I stand by what I said. If you do use the same username and password on both computers, your problem will be solved.

The windows firewall does not interfere with file sharing, you can do it with the firewall running. A hardware firewall is not a replacement for a software firewall, even if it diminishes the risks to a computer not running a software firewall. A software firewall monitoring outgoing traffic can be useful to stop rogue apps or malware calling home. Your AV, regardless of manufacturer, won't catch everything.

I have a hardware firewall and use a paid 3rd party firewall.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It is presented as if you need to set up a Homegroup but canceling out is the way to go with a mixed network (XP). I think you can get out of it by going back to network and sharing center and under choose homegroup and sharing options, leave the homegroup. Also in the advanced sharing settings for home network, make sure the use user accounts has a tic instead of use homegroups.

Hopefully that was where the password prompt was coming from. However life is just a bit easier in a home network if you do implement user account passwords. You can still make them all but invisible as a user by running control userpasswords2 and set your account to ignore the password prompt when logging on. Things like unattended task scheduling and remote control log in and I'm sure a boatload more are all facilitated by having a password.

Thanks
    You don't have to leave the Homegroup to implement a Workgroup as well. They co-exist fine.

A good tutorial on sharing files between Windows 7 and XP can be found here:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...dows-7-and-xp/

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, having read all the suggested tutorials, here's the situation as it now stands:

On my XP computer, my user name is Admin, I have set up the computer with NO password, so that it boots directly to the desktop with no user input required.

On my Win 7 computer, my user name is Les, I have set up the computer with NO password, so that it boots directly to the desktop with no user input required.

User accounts on both computers are administrator accounts, with full privileges.

Per the instructions in Fred Langa's article, I have set up my Win 7 computer as follows:

I removed the computer from a HOMEGROUP.

My advanced sharing options are as follows:
    Turn on network discovery is checked;
    Turn on file and printer sharing is checked;
    Turn off public folder sharing;
    Enable file sharing for devices that use 40- or 56-bit encryption is checked;
    Turn off password protected sharing is checked;
    Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers is checked.

On my Win 7 desktop, I've created a folder (named PowerSpec Share), and have activated sharing for this folder, with Read permission for Everyone.

On my XP computer, I can navigate (via My Network Places) to the PowerSpec Share folder on the Win 7 computer, and have placed a shortcut to that folder on my XP desktop. I can share files between computers using that folder, but any files that I placed in the folder on my Win 7 machine cannot be deleted from my XP computer (they can only be read or copied) - the permissions were set that way to protect the files on my Win 7 machine from being remotely deleted.

On my Win 7 Machine, under Start/Network, I can see everything connected to my network; my Win 7 machine (hardwired), my XP machine (wireless), my printer (wireless). But when I double-click on my XP machine icon, I still get the Enter Network Password dialog box (see the attachment in my original post).

Is there a way to allow access from my Win 7 computer to my XP computer WITHOUT using a password? F.U.N, I have ticked the boxes you recommended, but that obviously didn't eliminate the password request.

If I MUST set up a password (definitely not my preference), do I need one on each computer, or only the Win 7 computer? I don't seem to need a password when accessing the Win 7 computer from the XP computer. How do I do that, and how do I prevent having to use it when I boot the computers? Please be specific. Do the user account names and passwords need to be the same on both computers?

Or is there some setting that I missed that might allow me access to a shared folder on the XP computer without a password?

I've gone as far as my limited knowledge can take me. Feel free to add to that knowledge.

Thanks.

Thanks
    If you open the Network and Sharing Center (right click the network icon on the Taskbar) and choose Advanced Sharing I believe you can choose not to use a password. You have to open the drop down box for All Networks.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    There are certain things in XP that don't work well without passwords. Sharing is one of them. Read the How-to-Geek article from post #8.

Setup passwords on both machines. If you wish to logon automatically it is easy to do even with passwords.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, I have already read that article. My questions are:

How do I set up a login password?
    What settings do I need to allow the machines to boot without having to enter the password or hit any keys?
    Will I need to enter the password to set up folder sharing?
    Will I have to enter the password every time I want to share a folder?

I understand what people are telling me, I just want specifics on HOW to accomplish this task. I don't like to enter passwords on my machines for any reason, and if I can't s share folders properly without having to enter passwords (after the initial setup), I'll probably opt to not share at all. Clearly, I can already share a folder on my Win 7 machine without having to enter any passwords, I just can't seem to share a folder on my XP machine.

Ruirib, in post 4 you say that having the same user name and password on both machines will allow trouble-free sharing. Does that mean that once both machines are booted, I can set up sharing a folder from both/either machine without having to login again after boot? Also, you reference AutoLogon, which is an external app. I would prefer to set my computers to boot unattended (i.e., to recognize any password I might set up) without using any external apps. How can I do this?

Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    How do I set up a login password? - see How to Create a Password for a Windows 7 User Account

What settings do I need to allow the machines to boot without having to enter the password or hit any keys? - Auto-Login Your Windows 7 User Account

Will I need to enter the password to set up folder sharing? - No
    Will I have to enter the password every time I want to share a folder? - No

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    AutoLogon is a tool written by Mark Russinovitch and his SysInternals team. He now works for Microsoft, so it's like a native Windows tool. You run it once in each computer and it's all you need to login automatically.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've used sharing between XP and Vista quite a while back and don't recall any problems. I do recall reading that if you use the same user name and password on both machines you can log in automatically. I believe you just have to tick remember my credentials or however it's worded in the dialog box that appears when you first set it up.

Rich

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast