Star Lounger
    Thanks

Getting text with a form and putting it into Word Documents Word 2007

How can I prompt a user for information, do a few tweaks do it, save some text strings, and have the text strings appear where I want them to in a Word 2007 document?

I have to prepare some standard letters. They need to collect some information (addressee's name, reference number..., which of three choices...). I've set up a form to prompt the user for these data. I then have it run some If Then conditions and set some text strings. I then want the text strings to go into the document...

This is where I'm stuck. I hoped that "DocVariable" field could use the text string I'd saved in the form to enter the text string. No luck.

I thought that if I used e.g.

'Add bookmark text for sender's name
    expression.Add (BkmTxt_SendersName)
    BkmTxt_SendersName = str_SendersName

I could then use the cross-reference functions (cross reference, bookmark, insert bookmark text) e.g. {REF BkmTxt_SendersName \h} in the document but it gives an error message ("Error! Reference source not found,").

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another approach... Document Custom Properties
    I can edit the template to include custom properties. (Office button aka File|prEpare|Properties, document properties dropdown menu, Advanced Properties, Custom tab, type in the new custom property's name and a default value...

I could, for example, create a custom property "SendersName".

I can then use the DOCPROPERTY field: {DOCPROPERTY SenderName \* MERGEFORMAT}.

Then I could get the VBA code in the form to set the property to the value of the string str_SendersName. Then all I need to do is to select the document and update all fields..

So I now need to work out how to set the DOCPROPERTY to the new value, based on the form input. Assuming I've succeeded in setting str_SendersName to e.g. "Dr Peter English" I think I need something like:

With CustomDocumentProperties
    .Add Name = "SendersName", Type:=String, Value:=str_SendersName, LinktoContent:=False
    End With

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    penglish,

Here's a Word Template that does what I think you're after. Give it a look. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nope. "Invalid procedure call or argument".

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow - what a lot of data is collected in those forms! Thank you so much, though - I think I can see the syntax I need now.

So, if the text box in my form is called Box_SenderName, I can use:

With ActiveDocument
    .Variables("SenderName").Value = Trim(Box_SenderName.Value)
    End With

to get the content of the form's text box into a custom document variable called Sendername...

Presumably

With ActiveDocument
    .Variables("SenderName").Value = str_SenderName
    End With

will also work.

I'll try that tomorrow!

Thank you very much!