5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Searching file content

I have a folder containing a number of Word .docx files, and I want to find files that contain a certain word or phrase; however, if I type the word or phrase in the search box in Windows Explorer, it finds the search word(s) in filenames but not in file contents.

I have disabled indexing to improve performance when not searching, but I have selected the option Organize > Folder and search options > Search > "Always search file names and contents", and I have tried entering "content:[something]" in the search box, but it still searches only filenames but not contents.

How can I find files containing a certain word or phrase?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    according to this site:
    http://m.wikihow.com/Make-Windows-7-...-File-Contents
    you may also need to set the file types that it searches.

however, i also believe that you need to have indexing enabled in order for the feature to work, and after enabling windows needs time to reindex everything.

brino

Thanks
    In my experience the indexing service of W7 had no effect on performance once the initial index was created.

And in all honesty, I thought it was excellent.

When I searched for something. all I did was click the Windows key and enter what I was searching for, whether it be a file name, content within a file or an email and it showed up pretty much instantly.

Perhaps you may want to reconsider the indexing service and also ensure that it is indexing the folders you want to search along with the extensions as well.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Turn indexing back on and try forcing the index to be re-built.

Joe