Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Boot straight to the desktop using Task Scheduler

PC World shows a method of booting directly to the Desktop UI using the Windows Task Scheduler. Read the whole article for a couple of other tips.

Here's how:

Boot straight to the desktop

After you've set up your desktop programs as defaults and sorted out your Start button dilemma, you need to configure your PC to boot straight to the desktop, bypassing the Windows 8 Start screen.
    Using Windows 8's own built-in Task Scheduler to bypass the Metro Start screen is a delicious irony.
    First, open the Task Scheduler by typing Schedule task in the Settings search on the All Apps screen, or by deep-diving to Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools > Schedule Tasks.

Once the Task Scheduler is open, click Create Task under Task Scheduler Library in the Actions pane. Name your task "Boot to desktop" or something similar. Open the Triggers tab, select New, and choose At log on in the 'Begin the task' drop-down menu at top. Click OK, and then open the Actions tab, select New once again, and enter explorer in the Program/script field.

Save the action and the task, and you're done! From now on, every time you log in to Windows, you'll automatically jump to the desktop, where an open Libraries folder will greet you.

task-schedulr-100025294-medium.png
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I just used my Paypal account to spend $3 for a two PC license for StartIsBack. As well as giving me a true Windows 7 Start Menu, it also boots directly to the desktop. I've been using it for two weeks and have not a single complaint. I particularly like the way it can pull all non-App tiles (stuff I've installed) off the Start Screen and put them in the Desktop Start Menu, leaving nothing but Apps on the Start Screen.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Hey Y'all,

I also ditched Classic Start Menu for StartIsBack today. It only took me 10 minutes to decide to have the $3 deducted from my PayPal account.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    For those of us who actually like the Windows 7 Start Menu, StartIsBack is a gem.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    While anything that by-passes the Metro Start screen is IMO an improvement, in this case you're booting not 'straight to the desktop' but instead 'straight into Explorer'. I prefer the pristine emptiness of my desktop background when I start, even though I usually run my email client very soon thereafter.

That said, there are other things in the PC World article that interested me (e.g., the shortcut back to the Metro 'all apps' screen, even if I also have a Start button on my desktop available for use assuming that both can co-exist). Thanks for linking to it.

Thanks
    I believe all the 3rd party Start Orb apps allow booting to the Desktop UI. I know Start8 has this set by default. Classic Shell and Start8 also allow disabling the hot corners while on the desktop. This option is not set by default. This particular customization allows booting to the Desktop UI for those who do not wish to add a 3rd party Start Menu app.

I have a customized version of the Win 7 Start Menu on my PC using Start8. Bill, I also like to boot to the desktop without anything open. My desktop only has 3 icons (which I choose to leave there) permanently My Computer, Network and Recycle Bin. I presently have 3 temporary Notepad files there, which will be gone shortly. So I guess my desktop is generally empty and displays the landscapes I'm sure you've seen displayed previously. Start8 and Classic Shell do not boot into an explorer window, but to an empty desktop with just my 3 small icons on it.

I know in another thread you state you prefer the XP Start Menu. I am not sure if an exact duplicate of that is available. More discussion there.

I do have to say that I am comfortable with having a Start Menu and do use it on all our PCs. I do not use the Start Menu for most of my oft used apps. I have a Toolbar for that. Initially I tried to use the Desktop without the Start Menu, but found myself spending more time finding my apps (Just trying to find my app on the All Apps toolbar took longer than on my customized Toolbar) so I did chose to add a Start Menu for CP access, WU, maintenance utilities and such.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Ted & all.
    A lot of discussion on the Star Menu. I got around it using the Quick Launch. Now, I have 21 icons on it and all that is required, is a click on the wanted one.
    But, this is me ! Others salivate on the Start orb. Now, I have gone through the steps that Ted showed on how to boot to the Desktop. Thanks. JP.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Initially I tried to use the Desktop without the Start Menu, but found myself spending more time finding my apps
    Exactly, and don't forget about computer settings checks and utilities of all sorts. It's all about efficiency for a power user, shortest, most direct route from start to anywhere. I knew sight unseen two interfaces had to compromise that efficiency, but I didn't know just how bad it would be. Ted and JP techniques are sound, use them myself but they are not quite enough for two or three critical utilities I use where jumplists further improve that goal of ultimate efficiency. Those take a separate pinning on the taskbar if allowed or in the start menu. In fact I had to make custom toolbars for XP (which i can attach or set anywhere on the desktop I might add and if attached to a side or top or bottom can be auto hid just like the taskbar (wunderbar!!!)), essentially with the jumplist items in them just because the two or three extra steps without them was irritating.

Also, forgot about search. I'm not a search oriented person but occasionally it is better to just start a search in the Win 7 start menu style search box when I'm not exactly sure of a location, I certainly don't want to go to the charms bar search and muck around there searching apps for which I have no current interest. If I want to search apps then I'll go there, otherwise don't waste my time.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-02-20 at 14:10.

Thanks
    I believe this is one of the strong points for Windows in general (not just Win 8). If you find the default setup does not quite work for your needs you can customize it to work the way you wish it to work. I customized XP, Vista and Win 7 just as heavily as I have done Win 8, I suppose with the exception of adding a Start Menu to Win 8. All my other customizations I use in Win 8 I also used in the previous versions. I make the OS work the way I want it to work.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh sure, enough to meet most needs, but you probably don't use XP any more and may forget about the "good old days" (also bad for some). There is a definite trend away from customization even as more features are added that need third party software to make work in XP (and are also needed in Win 8, the newest of them all to bring back another customization that went away). There is also a trend to try and hide the "nitty gritty" of successive operating systems, I won't say dumbed down since most settings are still there, but they seem increasingly difficult to discover easily and their placement often makes less intuitive sense. I know, click on start to shut down makes no intuitive sense either, but still, overall, makes much more sense, at least to me.
    I think the difference is that then we were seeing a leaps and bounds effort just to improve the concept of computing, and now we are still seeing that effort but also an effort just to change things to be different enough, and in some cases the improvement part takes more of a back seat.
    I'll give you a pertinent example. Why can't I have toolbar sidebars on the desktop sides and top? Obvious right? So why do I need this overly dramatic Charms bar, App switcher and long long long l-o-n-g drag to close? Instead, from the desktop, an icon to switch to the Start screen and from the Start screen, a tile to switch to the desktop. Done! Room for toolbar sidebars and a gadget sidebar on the desktop. I leave it open for anyone to decide which is better. Which allows for real customization instead of hacking off one bit to make room for another?

Thanks
    I thought we still could move the Taskbar to the sides. I believe Drew did this with his setup. Perhaps you are not talking about the Taskbar??? No, I have not used XP in several years. I do not have the need for my personal use. The trend away from customization could be true, but the customizations I want to make can be done, so for me Win 8 works the way I wish it to.

Using the 3rd party Start Menu apps, you can disable all the hot corners on the Desktop. I have on mine. My charms only works when I go to the Win 8 Style Start Screen. Same with the App Switcher.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    As a daily user of all three of the most recent Microsoft OS'es (glad you're no longer trying to compare with Apple, because, hey, an Etch-A-Sketch compares favorably with Apple when it comes to customization), as features increase, customization is more and more narrowly focused.

I think you make my point perfectly in that you disable that overly dramatic stuff on the edges when on the desktop...but you can't ADD anything to the edges, except you can move the taskbar around if you want. In XP I can attach three autohid toolbars to the remaining sides if I wish, heck I can even move the Quick Launch to its own autohid screen edge. I think it would be great if Win 8 would also let me attach at least on toolbar to an edge but those are now landlocked in the taskbar since Win 7, where it goes so do the toolbars.

Yeah, I know its time to move on and get over that sort of stuff because it's not coming back, but the pronouncement that later iterations of the OS are every bit as customizable as XP just isn't true. Or I should say, is true for you, but not even close for me. New features and supports(?), yeah then later iterations have older beat hands down.

With 20 some quick launch items in the taskbar, JP might like to pull that off the taskbar and put it as a separate autohide toolbar on the side or top to free up some taskbar real estate. I dearly (well, not dearly, but I don't know the exact right word) miss that customization among others.

Thanks
    I use a Toolbar instead of various icons on the Quick Launch bar. In this way I can click on the >> of the Toolbar and all the icons I have placed on the Toolbar appear. In this manner I am not filling my Taskbar with these icons.

I also realize I am not as much of a power user as many here. For my purposes, all the customizations I made for XP and Win 7 still work on Win 8. Each person does have to decide what they wish to do and how to accomplish it. As I said though, Windows is still more customizable than any of the alternatives although YMMV.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I'm speaking directly in this case with the loss of toolbar customization, including the quick launch toolbar....from Win 7 on, it is stuck in the taskbar, not so for earlier versions where it can be in the taskbar or anywhere else on the desktop. I use Fences for the icons (though I don't have it on Win 8 but it probably works there by now?), one setting of which is double click the desktop to hide and again to reveal.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Jean, if one enables the Desktop Toolbar it becomes unnecessary/redundant to put QL in Windows 8. I did put QL in months ago but, dropped it shortly after & once I started using the Desktop Toolbar. Everything QL offered and more was or could done w/ Desktop Toolbar.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo (2013_02_06 10_30_24 UTC).jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast